Corsair Community

Dell 4550 and New Memory CMSS512MB-333?

brianl

I have a Dimension 4550 533FSB 2.6G processor. Want to buy two new 512 DIMMs. Configurator recommends CMSS512MB-333. I also saw the value select VS512MB333 and CM64SD512-2700. What is the difference? Any Recommendations on how to best choose?

• 7 months later...

I saw the above post before I ordered a memory upgrade so instead of ordering value ram, I ordered two 512MB chips of the Corsair CMSS512MB-333 512MB DDR333 PC2700.

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 533Mhz. It had 256MB ram which I wanted to upgrade. The memory configurator as well as the Dell site tells me that I can only install 1GB with two separate 512MB chips which is what I bought. As an aside, some other forums I saw say that I could have actually put in two 1 gig chips and obtained a total memory of 2 gigs which is what I would have preferred to do. Do you know if this would have been possible?

ANYWAY, I was able to remove the one 256MB chip and install both new 512MB chips. The computer boots up and tells me that my memory has changed and do I want to enter setup or boot up as normal. I ask it to boot up normal and it starts, stalls and I get a blue screen error message noting "RDR_File_System" "Stop: 0X00000027" "Processr.sys" and "pwd_2k.sys"!

I then boot up in safe mode and I choose "Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Systems Information" and it tells me that I have 1024 MB Ram! I also go into "Control Panel" and choose "System" and it also tells me that I have 1024 Ram! When I boot up normal mode, I still get the blue screen with the same error message.

I took the new memory out and installed the old memory and the computer worked fine. I then took that out and put in only one chip and it worked fine, but not with two. I then put one new chip in the original slot and added the old chip in the additional slot and the computer works fine with 3/4 of a Gig!

I sent an email to Corsair and they told me to contact Dell and that they can tell me how to update my Bios. I went onto the Dell website and upgraded from Bios A06 to Bios A08 which is the highest one for my system. But I have the same problem.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I think it must be something simple that I should be doing, but I can't seem to figure it out. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I hit F2 and went into Bios Setup. I then hit F5 and it did nothing. I still got the blue screen. I went into Bios Setup again and I arrowed my way down to highlight the "Memory" category. I hit enter and it showed me the following:

Installed System Memory: 1024MB DDR SDRAM (light blue letters)

Speed: 333Mhz (light blue letters)

AGP Aperture: 128MB (regular white letters)

As an aside, these are the only light blue letters on the screen which has a gray background and regular white letters!

Anyway, if I highlight the above light blue categories, I cannot "+/-" or "arrow" to toggle settings, but in the AGP Aperture category, I could toggle from 128MB to 256MB, to 64MB to 128Mb. After several efforts to hit F5 did not work, I tried to toggle this AGP setting from 128MB to 256MB, saved changes and exited Bios Setup, but I still had the same blue screen error message! Only now, I cannot even boot up in safe mode. I went into Bios Setup again and returned the setting to 128MB and I still cannot boot up in safe mode.

I had to take the memory chips out again and restore one to run the system, and it now still runs fine!

By the way, the computer runs fine with either one of the new memory chips, but not with both of them!

Thanks for your note.

I contacted Dell and determined that I do have the most current bios version.

I also ran memtest.org on each module separately and there were no errors.

In addition, I used the Dell Resource Disk that came with the computer and ran the memory diagnostics on each module separately and the tests were passed with no errors.

I have given you all of the details in my prior posts. Please read what I have posted previously.

The only time they do not work is when both of these modules are installed together. If they are installed alone in either slot, they work fine. If either one of them is installed with my old 256MB module, the computer works fine. However, when they are in the machine together, I get the blue screen error message! All details have been stated above and I have spent alot to time on this!

Also, I previously asked the following question but did not receive an answer: "As an aside, some other forums I saw say that I could have actually put in two 1 gig chips and obtained a total memory of 2 gigs which is what I would have preferred to do. Do you know if this would have been possible?" If so, perhaps a one gig module with give me the one gig I originally wanted, and I could add the old 256MB module or even a second one gig module. Please let me know your response.

This is getting frustrating.

• Corsair Employees
Also, I previously asked the following question but did not receive an answer: "As an aside, some other forums I saw say that I could have actually put in two 1 gig chips and obtained a total memory of 2 gigs which is what I would have preferred to do. Do you know if this would have been possible?" If so, perhaps a one gig module with give me the one gig I originally wanted, and I could add the old 256MB module or even a second one gig module. Please let me know your response.

According to the information I have about this system, max is 1.0 Gig using 2 512 Meg modules and the part# you use should be CMSS512MB-333. If thats what you have and u still have problems lets try replacing them, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Archived