Corsair Community

Socket 754 Mobos and Dual Channel RAM

Markhawks

Hello Gurus,

I have been battling a problem which is making me insane. I dedided to upgrade to an Athlon 64, so I grabbed the following:

Motherboard:

Gigabyte K8NS

Processor:

AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3000+ (DTR) ClawHammer

Memory:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit

If I install both 512MB modules, the system falls back to 166 Mhz & crawls. If I remove one module, it jumps tp 200 Mhz where it belongs, and the system flies. Gigabyte has a FAQ on this, which supposedly was fixed a long time ago (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_473.htm), and I am at the latest BIOS now (F16).

The same thing happens on a different mobo, the ECS K8M800-M2 v1.0, which uses the VIA chipset. ECS suuport advises that I use "single bank DRAM" instead of "dual bank DRAM".

Is the problem due to the Socket 754 design? The Athlon 64 Mobile Architecture?

Any help is appreciated...

thanks

Mark

This is the message:

Hey Wired,

I read with interest your post in this thread (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42451) where you note that socket 754 is single channel only. I have been trying to make a pair of different Socket 754 mobo's work correctly with a CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42903)

If I understand your post correctly, should I give up and swap out my dual channel memory for single channel? If so, what should I order?

thanks in advance,

Mark

Like I said in that other thread, there is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

In other words, there is no such thing as single channel memory.

Now when Giga-Byte says single-bank vs. dual-bank, that's different from single channel and dual channel memory. I believe those sticks are dual-bank. However, reading the specs of both of those boards, they both can handle up to 1 GB modules per slot, which only come in dual-bank, so their "recommendation" is bogus either way.

What is the exact part # of your memory? It's a TwinX pack, correct?

How To Read the Memory Label

I'd test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

How many memory slots do you have and what slots do you have them in? I would suggest slots 1-3 or 2-3 if you have three slots.

Hi Ram Guy,

Thanks for the prompt response- you guys rock.

I have three slots, and they were in one and two. As you suggested, I tried both 1-3 and 2-3 and got the same result. Two sticks= 166 Mhz, one stick= 200 Mhz.

thanks,

Mark

• Corsair Employees
That is a limitation of this platform, but many of the systems we tested would run at DDR400 if the modules were in slots 1-3 or 2-3. You might check with the MB maker and see if there is newer bios and then after you update the bios load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and see if that will solve the issue.

Like I said in that other thread, there is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

In other words, there is no such thing as single channel memory.

Now when Giga-Byte says single-bank vs. dual-bank, that's different from single channel and dual channel memory. I believe those sticks are dual-bank. However, reading the specs of both of those boards, they both can handle up to 1 GB modules per slot, which only come in dual-bank, so their "recommendation" is bogus either way.

What is the exact part # of your memory? It's a TwinX pack, correct?

How To Read the Memory Label

I'd test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

Hi Wired,

Sorry if I did not understand the terminology- I am a network guy. DRAM terms are new to me.

Your suggestion of Memtest found a bad module- 2048 errors 50% of the way through the first pass. The other module passed four complete banks of tests without a hiccup.

Part# = CMX512-3200C2

Version = 1.5

XMS3202

Lot# 0525042

Next step?

thanks a ton- you guys are the best...

Mark

We can try replacing the modules if you like, but this would suggest an issue with the MB if both modules run and pass http://www.memtest.org running one up.

Hey Ram Guy,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I was unclear. One stick of RAM is good (4 passes OK) while the other is bad (2048 errors on one pass). I have emailed NewEgg for an RMA. I will wait a reasonable amount of time and then ask you folks for an RMA.

thanks again

Archived