Corsair Community

Bad VS512MB400 modules?

braccuglia

I have a MSI PT880 Neo -FSR motherboard with two VS512MB400 modules installed and a boxed Intel 3.2 Ghz processor. The motherboard, processor and modules are only about 3 months old. I started having system lockup problems recently so I started investigating the cause. The only other adapter card I have installed is an MSI 8x AGP card purchased at the same time. After a lockup the other day I reset the system and I did not even receive any video output so I thought that maybe the motherboard was going bad. I first tried a PCI video card and still received no video output. I purchased a new motherboard yesterday and installed the same components and received the same behaviour. I then decided to remove one of the 512mb modules and then the system booted up. If I put that same module back in to the system it will not boot. I will either receive a hard reboot when Windows starts to load or I receive no video output. I am currently operating with only one 512 mb module in the original MSI motherboard but it is also failing memtest86 test 7. I ran the test for 11 passes last night and it had 283 failures on test 7. I have tried a couple of different memory speed settings in the BIOS to see if that would help based on the memory speed recommendations for my motherboard on your website.

The current memory settings are 2.5-3-3-6. The motherboard BIOS and drivers are all up to date as well.

Thanks,

Brian

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I have set the DRAM voltage to 2.70 volts and I still fail memtest86+ test 7. I swapped the memory chip to my other chip and the system still does not boot or have video output. I am filling out an RMA request form now.

Archived