Corsair Community

Defective Memory - VS512MB333

pkct2001

I got this memory (one module 512MB) and used for less than a year. Recently, my computer (WinXp Pro sp2) kept crashing ending up in blue screens, when I used it in less than 15 mins. I have tried to use it in other two systems and have same problem.

Stop: 0x0000008E / 0x0000001D.......

MB ECS 848P-A

CPU: Intel P4 2.4G

ATI Radeon 9250 128M

CPUZ Info:

Frequency: 166.3 MHz

FSB: DRAM 4:5

CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks

RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks

Cycle Time (Tras): 7 clocks

BIOS: DRAM Timing Selection: by SPD

I have run memtest program and got error on test 5 / 7 / 8. Please help.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure the memory frequency is set to DDR333 and set these timings and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Memory Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I believe I have a similar situation with the exact same part. I put mine in my ThinkPad T42 and have had it running for almost a year, problem free. Now, the OS rarely boots and when it does, it randomly just hard locks-up. When I try to reboot, I get nothing but a blank screen - the BIOS doesn't even come up. When I remove the memory module, everything works normally. I figure if the timing parameters were incorrect to begin with I would have had these type of problems some time ago. Any suggestions? Are the timing parameters for the SDRAM found in the BIOS? I can try to compare them to the ones you suggested.

Al

• Corsair Employees
Please test the system with just our module installed after you load setup/optimized defaults in your bios with http://www.memtest.org. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

RAMGUY,

I can't even boot my laptop when the memory is installed at all. When I say "boot", I mean it doesn't even get to the BIOS loading much less the OS. No keys function, no screen display, nothing. I have to hit the power switch to turn off my machine. As soon as the memory module is removed, everything works just fine.

Al

Please test the system with just our module installed after you load setup/optimized defaults in your bios with http://www.memtest.org. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived