Corsair Community

Constant Crashes point towards RAM problem

Whodares

I have been experiencing frequent Crashes lately and have not been able to solve the problem. I have tried everything from driver updates and rollbacks, to upgrading to XP service pack two and so on. I have tried to format once but that did not solve my problem.I obtainied another drive to see if perhaps my problems would be solved by running windows xp from another hard drive, this however does not work as my pc continues to crash as setup loads from boot up. I believe this maybe a RAM problem, I ran MEMtest and the Microsoft program to test the ram, but the results showed nothing to be wrong. Bad Ram is what I have been told may be the culprit by a computer repair technician. Is there a compatibility problem with my Ram and if not, would I be able to receive a RMA number to replace my ram since it appears to be the problem.

The Blue Screen I frequently and always get is the IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO error

no specific drivers or files are mentioned in that blue screen.

My specs are

Windows XP Pro SP2

AMD Athlon 2700+ XP

Albatron KX18D PROII Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard

Nvidia Geforce 5600 fx 256 mb DDR

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

If you need any other info, let me know and I will post it ASAP, Thanks!

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I didn't set any performance settings but my Bios Settings are as follows...

FSB is set to 166mhz

DDR speed is set to 400

The settings are at what the Bios calls optimal, if I switch to expert mode, I am able to alter the memory timings and the CAS latency if needed. If you need anything else, ask.

• Corsair Employees
With this MB and CPU you will need to set the memory freq in sync with your CPU or it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory. So please set the memory Freq at 100% or 1-1 with your CPU for best performance.

With this MB and CPU you will need to set the memory freq in sync with your CPU or it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory. So please set the memory Freq at 100% or 1-1 with your CPU for best performance.

I just tried this, everything worked fine for awhile then my PC began to freeze, I shut down and upon restart, it would crash while loading windows. I am unable to get into windows or run the XP setup now because it will Crash, same error as before.

• Corsair Employees

Please set the memory frequency at 100% and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the following settings manually and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure its not some other problem.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the memory frequency at 100% and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the following settings manually and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure its not some other problem.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

It won't work. Tried everything, sent a request for a REM, thanks for your help.

Archived