Corsair Community

Bad Memory Contacts - Passes Memtest

pandamooo

Hello,

Memory: 2x 512MB - PC3500 - Cas2

Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2

I have had the most frustrating time with my memory since I bought it about 2 years ago. After many trials and errors I have reduced the problem to being caused by the memory contacts. My MSI board has special indictator lights to indicate what the problem is in the boot sequence. It always points to allocating the ram. For reasons stated below:

Often times after relocating my computer tower, my computer will not boot. (The MSI lights point to ram) After reseating the memory modules many times, it will finally boot.

Sometimes after many months of working just fine, I will notice that I only have "512MB" of ram single channel. I will have to take out both pairs of memory and play with them to get them to a) boot, b) both show up.

Sometimes after many months of working fine, I will crash randomly when booting into windows, or 3 minutes into a game. Removing the memory module will correct the issue.

I suspect it is the memory modules and not the motherboard because before I had an Intel 865PE board, and experienced much the same problems. One of the reasons I upgraded to the MSI board was because of this infrequent Problems i was experiencing.

When the computer is up and working fine, it is stable for months, even when a heat wave is upon my computer. Memtest passes just fine. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I've tried everything. Generally I revert to fail-safe defaults, because overclocking has been out of the question.

I run the motherboard at 200 FSB, memory at PC3200, and the CPU is run at stock speed of 3 Ghz. The memory timings are set to the lowest possible during this time.

I do not suspect the problem is in bios settings, but rather a physical or defective part because I will use the jumper to clear the BIOS and this will not fix the problem. Only after reseating the memory multiple times, cursing, and crossing my fingers will the computer successfully boot.

The MSI board has a "dynamic overclock" feature that seems to wreak havoc on my stability, it is thus disabled.

• Corsair Employees

First thing, I would suggest you use the "Load Setup/Optimized or Performance defaults option only. Failsafe defaults me try and run these modules out of spec. Then after you load setup defaults please set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the timing smanually to whats listed bellow and test the system with http://www.memtest.org and if you still get errors please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T with 2 modules with one you can set this to 2.0

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Also please make sure that PAM and or PAT is set to Auto/disabled if you have that in your bios.

Archived