Corsair Community

Dual Chanel and A7N8X

vh250

i have the ASUS A7N8X and two VS512MB400 dimms, which i beieve are Dual channel (someone tell me if I'm wrong) I've been having problems with memory errors and have been unable to install Windows due to them, so I was looking on the ASUS site and found this [url]http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=84593[/url] . Apparently my mobo doesn't support my memory? Is this actually the case, or is there another problem?

• Corsair Employee
First thing is, I am sorry that you are having trouble, But the MB you have may require that you set the memory Freq. manually to run at DDR333, depending on the speed of the CPU you have installed. This is a chipset limitation. If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400 Please try this as an example, CPU Freq:133Mhz Memory Freq: 125% or 100% for CPU Freq of 166 or More Resulting Frequency: 166MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T And I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and leave any performance setting to AUTO or bios default. But if you try to run the memory at DDR400 or at default settings and the CPU at 166 MHz it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate random errors that are not from the memory.

Archived