Corsair Community

Possible problem

Halldor

I just put together a system using the MSI K8TNEO-FIS2R, an AMD Athlon64 3000+ and the Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO memory pair. THe problem is this - when running at DDR333, everything is stable and runs perfectly. When I try and switch it from 333 to DDR400, the system goes through POST and basic boot procedures until it's about to start Windows (XP Pro SP1). At that point, the entire system hangs at a blank screen. When I clock it back down to 333, all is well again. Did I get some faulty modules or am I doing something wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I have the same problem. I have two 512 cmx3200C2. I tried with that slot 1 and 3 combination. Still doesn't work. Everything works when in DDR333. Here is a list of problems that happens in DDR400: 1) After windows load screen, everything goes black with just one interesting message: entry point not found for procedure in kernel32.dll (or was it kernel32.exe?). 2) If the above error doesn't occur, and I do somehow make it to windows, mozilla crashed with the same error (entry point for proc....). And when this happens, all subsequent programs start giving this error, even right clicking on desktop and clicking properties. I am not saying it starts with mozilla always, it might happen with any app. Clearly, windows couldnot access that memory anymore. 3) Another funny thing is, with some installers (lets say Nimo_codec_pack_blah_blah.exe), after it starts installing, suddenly it stops saying some data in installer is corrupt. Note: None of the above three errors happen when running in DDR333 mode. I tried the 1st and 3rd slot thing, keeping everything as auto in BIOS, relaxing the timings in BIOS, increasing the voltage voltage upto 2.75. Simply put, at DDR400 it is not working and at DDR333 or below (I installed windows at DDR200), it works. Also the bios, when all set to auto, detects the RAM as DDR400, but the CL is set to 2.5. Aren't this RAMs supposed to be SPD set to CL2? But that is not a big issue I guess. Here are my specifications: AMD64 3000+ MSI K8T NEO 2 x 512 cmx3200C2 Zalman alucu cooler Antec True Blue 480 Watts. Radeon 9600XT 128 MB Now, I am seeing threads elsewhere the a host of people are having corsair memory problems with Athlon64. But probably the problem is with RAMS that have agressive timings. Ofcourse I am not an expert. While people with infinion / samsung with CL3 timings are pretty well off. Yes, we could run the corsair at relaxed timings, but then, doesn't that miss the whole point of buying a "more expensive then normal" RAM. Unless there is a clear cut solution, I guess I will have to change back to the cheaper and slower (and working) RAMs. I like the cool heatsink though :cool: . Hope you can help.

• Corsair Employees
I have seen this with that model when I first got it and updated to the latest bios and then set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. Then test the system with [URL=http://www.sniggins.com/memory_tester.htm]Microsoft's Memory Test[/URL]. If you get errors please test the modules one at a time and let's make sure it's not just a bad or failing module. If you do find one failing please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.

Now my machine has been running for a couple of days. And it works. This is what I did. 1) I went none the less, the very next day to the shop where I had bought the two cmx3200c2 modules, and they exchanged them with two new ones. Aparently the new ones belong to the same serial numbers (doesn't each module should have its own serial number?? well whatever...) 2) I cleared the bios through the jumpers, and then installed them in slot 1 and 3, as you said. 3) Set the timings to 2.3.3.6, set the dynamic overclocking to disabled, and rebooted. Worked. 4) Got the memory test to run for the entire night. NO ERRORS. 5) System from them on, running perfectly stable, no app hanging, games crashing, and I am kind of missing "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD :p: Now a few glitches, though they are probably related to the mobo. I tried yesterday to enable dynamic overclocking at "captain" level. The machine still runs stable, but here is what happens: I have boot options as (a) Floppy, (b) DVD ROM, (c) HDD. Earlier the boot record seek at DVD(I mean the message) was for a nano second. Now it seeks for a full two seconds before going on to the HDD. Funny. I have tried disabling Dynamic Overcl. No change. I guess MSI expects us to clear CMOS data after any change in BIOS. Now the big question - I read, for using 3 x 512 sticks of DDR400, I need to relax the timings. Thats pretty vague. Exactly what should be the timings. Is this bios update fixable, or am I stuck with a max of two memory mobo, till I buy a new mobo :question: Did you happen to test this mobo with 3 x 512 DDR400 modules. Thanks for all your help. As I said, like the cool heatsink, would have loved to have LEDs flashing, but they are kind off beyond budget :roll:

• Corsair Employees
Yes! I have tested it with three modules and had to run it at DDR333. But it should be no problem. Please check the user manual as I think they have some suggestions with 3 modules. You are welcome to try a more relaxed setting like Cass 2.5-3-3-7 or Cass 2.5-4-4-8 and see if you can run DDR400.

Yes. I guess they have a quite some trouble with running at DDR400 at aggressive timings. With twinmos, kingston, you name it. I guess in the future, an upgrade option could be a DDR400 1 Gig. stick per slot. That should work. Ohh well. Thats all for the future. For the time being, a total of 1 gig sys mem is enough for me. Thanks again.

Archived