Corsair Community

Gigabyte 8KNXP and Corsair

mxcolin

I am putting together a new system and I have all the parts except for the motherboard and the memory. I have at the moment an Intel Pentium 4 3.0C processor and would like to buy the Gigabyte 8KNXP Motherboard. I would also like to buy Corsair RAM (3200C2 or 3200LL). I would like to buy one of the TwinX packs and run the board in dual channel mode. I am NOT interested in overclocking at all. Reading this forum there seems to be a lot of compatability issues. My questions are 1) Out of the box will this configuration work? 2) What memory timing will I be able to achieve if so?

• Corsair Employee
Well I think that was about Rev 2.0 or at least the thread starter had Rev 2.0. And lets hope thats the version of MB mxcolin get's or has. But I think there was some mention of Rev 1.0 but I would not suggest Rev 1.0 for this Model GA-8KNXP

Some,not all (for example I returned my rev 1.0 Twinx1024-3200llpro as I could not find a single setting that would pass memtest86 dependably and I wasn't overclocking), of the XMS modules are happy in a rev 2.0 GA-8KNXP. I don't know if there's a way to look at a module and tell if it will be happy (for example 1.0 XMS vs 1.1 vs 1.2) or unhappy. I think you just have to take them for a spin. My suggestion is to try the XMS but keep in the back of your mind that you may have to return them. Consequently, deal with someone that has an easy to live with return policy. I am looking at possibly having to pay a 15% service charge cause I did not follow the advice I just gave you. Note, unlike my Twinx1024-3200llpro memory, no name 2-3-3 memory I have bought after giving up on the XMS memory is working fine in my 8KNXP... in fact its has pushed the very bits you are reading now! I know of no memory vendor that has cornered the market on being compatiable across the chips sets and motherboards out there. Things are just too "bleeding edge." With that said, people have been reporting failures here to get help in working around the problems (if possible).. but in the same light, peple don't tend to post sucess stories.

• Corsair Employee
LOL! Well I think you should do a search for the model of MB you want to get and you will see many posts and my replies. But in general with Giga Byte I would not suggest low latency. They just do not over clock as well as some other MB's Instead I would suggest XMS3200C2 or a JEDEC compliant module like CM64SD512-3200 for Giga-Byte.

Archived