Jump to content
Corsair Community

SK8V Compatibility problem?


JimS_99

Recommended Posts

Just put together a system using an ASUS SK8V, FX-51 and 2 GB Corsair TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT. Fire it up and all I get is vocal POST message: "System failed due to CPU Overclocking". No signal to monitor so I can't view or change BIOS settings. Tried all possible DIMM configurations (6 possibilities), nothing helps. I have this problem submitted to ASUS Tech Support, but I know they are going to say it's the memory, that this is unqualified vendor memory and i'm on my own. Update: Received reply from ASUS tech support. ASUS says it is memory related and since this is un-qualified vendor memory there is nothing they can do. I have everything disconnected but the video board (Radeon 9800 XT). Trying to eliminate any other hardware causing problems. Even took the 9800 out and get same message. The only thing on the MB is the FX-51, fan and memory. This has to be a memory problem. Is there a problem with this memory and the SK8V? Any suggestions???? Only thing I can think of is purchasing DDR400 Qualified Vendor (Kingston or Samsung) memory and seeing if this fixes the problem, hate to spend more $$$$!! The company I purchased this Corsair memory from has a 10 day return period and I have this memory 15 days so it looks like i'm stuck with it. If this memory is the problem does Corsair do anything to assist with returns? I have app $600 invested in Corsair memory!!!:shootme: An update: I just ordered 2 GB Kingston KRX3200K2, cost me an additional $800!!!!!!!! I'm betting this will cure this problem.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
It may be a bad module, but all of our modules are tested in a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory so it would be hard to get a bad module. But since you have got the other memory let's see what happens and we do whish you the best. Also I would try and clear the bios with just one module installed and see if the system will post.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Ram Guy, I got the Kingston memory, put it in & the system came right up, not even a hickup!! Looks like there is a problem with Corsair memory and the ASUS SK8V. Possibly the LL will work, I don't know I only had the LLPT. I'm certain I don't have a bad Dimm. I have 4 TwinX packs and none of them will work with the SK8V. I learned a leson here,: It's best to stay with Vendor Qualified memory when working with a motherboard (at least initially). Manufacturers of motherboards won't offer any tech support with Non-Approved Vendor memory installed. I also think that you should be more carefull in your replies about what will work and what will not work with specific motherboards. I lost $1,200 (4 TWINX packs for 2 systems I am building) worth of Corsair memory by listening to you say your memory would work great with the SK8V!!!! I sold the Corsair memory I bought for use with these MB's to a local computer store for $50 a TWINX pack! At least I got something back out of it. Another lesson I learned is that Corsair will not offer any assistance when their memory will not work as advertised. As your reply to my initial post you totally ignored my question about what Corsair will do or if they will offer any assistance. Corsiar will sell the memory but if you have a compatibility problem you are on your own!! :ar: :ar: CORSAIR :shootme: :shootme: :shootme: Corsair Memory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim, the main difference I see is the timings of the Kingston memory vs the Corsair LL memory. I did not see above if you tried to manually adjust the memory timings. With the combination of using LL overclocked Corsair memory and using 4 sticks, I'd imagine that you had a configuration problem. The stock timings on the Kingston are 3,3,3,8 according to their data sheet. That is most likely the reason that it booted right up. It sux to be stuck with the extra memory. I'd try to see if the Corsair is truly defective by using the test RAM GUY suggested. If it is, return it. If it is not, it is still great RAM and you should be able to sell it and recoup your losses. Good luck, Mike.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have Corsair TWINX-PC3200LL ECC/REGt o my dual opteron system whit a MSI Master2-FAR MB. I cant run chip-kill ECC. And I am not the only one whit this mb that cant. But whit aproved memorys of other typs it works. Get hevy instability problems whit it enabled. Aven whit out it its no good. Errors evry h in memtest and so on. I am trying to RAM it but dont know if I get my money back. have ordered MSI aproved Kingstons for my MB and hope that works out. Lot of people reports problems whit Corsairs ECC/REG mdules and Opteron/Athlon 64 FX at amd and msi's form. Crap I say.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a k8v Delux and I have the same problem. When I use a corsair twinx i get the "CPU overclocking" message. Fortunately I had another ram from another vendor to experiment with. Here is what I found. I can get the other vendors ram to work in any slot. I can get one of the twinx to work in slot 1, but no other slots. I can never get two twinx to work in any combination with the other ram or just with themselfs. It seems to me from this thread that I shoud just buy more of the other vendors chips? I would rather find a configuration that would allow me to use these.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am admittedly at a loss here as I don't have an Athlon 64 based system to test with. But, in these cases, Low Latency RAM is going to be more difficult to tune than JEDEC compliant RAM. And, keep in mind that this is a rev. 1.0 chipset, MOBO, and CPU design so there are going to be some bugs. So, if you want to OC these new systems ( AND USING LL RAM IS IN FACT OCing) you are probably going to have to work a bit harder. If I can help any of you in any way I will. Also, keep in mind that it is the holiday season. So, if responses are slow to come from Corsair officials, be patient. I know waiting with a non-working computer sux but it will work out. Best of luck to you all. Mike.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
First of all with AMD 64's AMD 64 754 PIN CPU's will need to use un-buffered memory AMD 64 940 Pin CPU's will need to use Buffered memory. And chip kill is a feature only available in a memory chip that is made with IC's based on By 4 configuration. JimS_99 we have not tested this MB as of yet but after Christmas and New Year we will get one and finish testing. pa1983 The above applies to you, And you would need to run a server module or one that's based on By 4 memory IC's and JEDEC Compliant in order to use that feature. Currently that's not available. Sorry! chris daniels The above may apply but what is the exact part# you have or are trying to install? The AMD754 CPU's will support registered memory but most MB makers did not provide support for both in the MB lay out.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]First of all with AMD 64's AMD 64 754 PIN CPU's will need to use un-buffered memory AMD 64 940 Pin CPU's will need to use Buffered memory. And chip kill is a feature only available in a memory chip that is made with IC's based on By 4 configuration. JimS_99 we have not tested this MB as of yet but after Christmas and New Year we will get one and finish testing. pa1983 The above applies to you, And you would need to run a server module or one that's based on By 4 memory IC's and JEDEC Compliant in order to use that feature. Currently that's not available. Sorry! chris daniels The above may apply but what is the exact part# you have or are trying to install? The AMD754 CPU's will support registered memory but most MB makers did not provide support for both in the MB lay out. [/B][/QUOTE] Ok now I know wy chp-kill ECC dont work. But still this MB supports both Athlon 64 FX and opteron and its same CPU. No big difrens eccept that Opteron can run in 1,2 and 8 config depening on model. I get errors in memtest every h and thats not normal. cant do mutch about timings and so on. Very limited bios when it comes to memrory sitings.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
With the CPU you have please make sure they support DDR400 and yes they should be no problem but honestly the Opteron’s may not run well with low latency modules as we have not tested them in that platform. You can try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and see if that will solve the errors, it may be just too aggressive for the MB/CPU's you have installed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]With the CPU you have please make sure they support DDR400 and yes they should be no problem but honestly the Opteron’s may not run well with low latency modules as we have not tested them in that platform. You can try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and see if that will solve the errors, it may be just too aggressive for the MB/CPU's you have installed. [/B][/QUOTE] The funny thing is that Opteron basecly is a Athlon FX-51 CPU. Probelby is amd making opterons on Athlon 64 FX-51 CPU:s. That info is on the net atlest. My opteron can run PC3200 and its the same chip and the memorys are made for Athlon 64 FX-51. Big leters on the box I got them in and the same problem exist whit Athlon 64 FX-51 and thats not odd becuse thay ave identical cores. And I cant lower my timings becuse limits in the bios so I am out of options. I have RAM thes mems. Not JEDEC standard and very agresiv timings that Athlon 64 FX-51 and opteron dont seems to like what I have seen in other forums whit people whit the samme stabilety problems and what I understand using this memorys is overclocking even on a Opteron or Athlon 64 FX-51 that support PC3200 officaly then this mems is not living up to spec i beleve. Shuld be more room for stabilety I think. Got them becuse corsair make good mems and I wanted the best but dident work out as I planed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JimS_99 [/i] [B]Just put together a system using an ASUS SK8V, FX-51 and 2 GB Corsair TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT. Fire it up and all I get is vocal POST message: "System failed due to CPU Overclocking". No signal to monitor so I can't view or change BIOS settings. Tried all possible DIMM configurations (6 possibilities), nothing helps. I have this problem submitted to ASUS Tech Support, but I know they are going to say it's the memory, that this is unqualified vendor memory and i'm on my own. Update: Received reply from ASUS tech support. ASUS says it is memory related and since this is un-qualified vendor memory there is nothing they can do. I have everything disconnected but the video board (Radeon 9800 XT). Trying to eliminate any other hardware causing problems. Even took the 9800 out and get same message. The only thing on the MB is the FX-51, fan and memory. This has to be a memory problem. Is there a problem with this memory and the SK8V? Any suggestions???? Only thing I can think of is purchasing DDR400 Qualified Vendor (Kingston or Samsung) memory and seeing if this fixes the problem, hate to spend more $$$$!! The company I purchased this Corsair memory from has a 10 day return period and I have this memory 15 days so it looks like i'm stuck with it. If this memory is the problem does Corsair do anything to assist with returns? I have app $600 invested in Corsair memory!!!:shootme: An update: I just ordered 2 GB Kingston KRX3200K2, cost me an additional $800!!!!!!!! I'm betting this will cure this problem. [/B][/QUOTE] Man, sorry again for you too Jim but I did not notice this the first time thru. You guys bought the wrong memory for you MOBOs. The SK8V will not run registered memory. Hopefully you can exchange it with your vendor or atleast sell it and not come out too bad. Good luck, Mike.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
No Mike! The Sk8V will need registered memory for AMD 64 FX CPU's. Also we can only guarantee 2 modules at these settings please try the modules 2 at a time and see if they will pass [URL=http://www.sniggins.com/memory_tester.htm ]Microsoft Memory Test[/URL]. If they will pass with 2 modules at a time then you can try 4 modules but you may have to run the Freq at DDR333 or try the Cass settings at Cass 2.5-3-3-7.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I apologize then, I misinterpreted the info at the [URL=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20Deluxe&langs=09]ASUS LINK SK8V[/URL] Asus posted there only [QUOTE]3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory [/QUOTE] . Sorry if I caused any problems. Mike.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, From the last two conversations that I have seen, the registered memory is ok. I may have to try some different cas settings, or maybe a slower ram speed. Correct? Chris BTW. Thanks for all of the help, it is really appreciated. UPDATE: I tried both settings, and still no luck. I can not run any programs to test the memories because I can even get to the bios when there is a problem. Here are the symptoms. Unbuffered memories (non ECC) work in any slot. The CMX512RE-3200LL will work but ony if one is installed into slot one. Installing it into any other slot will not work, nor will any combination of the unbuffered with the buffered.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
Chris, I am sorry to hear that, but that might suggest your CPU is failing, And this is not a common system so it would be unlikely you have access to another system you can test the memory or CPU in. But I would have no problem replacing the modules for you if you would like to try that. If so please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One last question. You stated in a previous responce that registered memories would work on a Athalon 64 FX, but what about a normal AMD 64 Athalon (non FX)? Personally I think that the issue is a compadibility problem with the Corsair (either just the brand, or most likeley the buffered memories) and this mother board because of three resons. 1. My non buffered/non ECC memory works in any slot. This eliminates that there is any issue with the board. The only big issue would be that two memoires may not work. 2. The Corsair works in slot 0 if there is only one of them. This eliminates the idea that it is a defective ram. It may be that there are just some places in memory that are defective, but point #3 eliminates that. 3. The Corsair memories will not work in slot 1 or 2. These are the same slots that the non-buffered/non ECC rams did work in. Unless you guys have any more suggestions (I do appreciate the help), I am going to take my 15% re-stocking fee loss and return these memories to the vendor. I will probably just purchase some more of the ram that I have currently working. (Sorry it is not a Corsair :(: ) Chris
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...