Corsair Community

Questions for RAM Guy re: PC3500C2PT -- recent changes?

snkane

I bought a 512MB PC3500C2PT stick on 12/16/03. It will pass memtest86 tests 1 - 7 without error up to FSB 223, 2-2-2-6 timings, cpu/memory sync'd using 2.8v. However, the stick will fail immediately in Prime95 using vdimm over 2.7v, using *any* FSB and timings. The stick behaves like it has a failsafe that prevents it from running with vdimm over 2.7v in demanding application usage. I am trying to find a good match for one of my other Corsair PC3500C2 sticks that is a stellar performer @ 2.8vdimm, so it is important that the stick it is paired with runs stable with 2.8 vdimm. I also tested/compared (individually) 3 other sticks of Corsair PC3500C2PT purchased in January 2003 in the same system (NF7-S v2.0 mobo), HW config, dimm slot, and settings and they do not exhibit this behavior using vdimm above 2.7v. The behavior was isolated to this particular stick of PC3500C2PT. Questions: 1) Is Winbond BH-5 still being used in current production PC3500 512MB sticks? If it helps, this particular stick is marked with number 0348053. I browsed the forums and could not find any infomation indicating any change to the ICs being used in the PC3500 sticks. 2) Does the 0348 prefix in the id number mean it was produced in 2003, week 48? 3) Did the pcb design change on the PC3500 sticks since January 2003 such that it will impact function of the stick if vdimm over 2.7v is used? Thanks for any answers Ram Guy

• Corsair Employees
I would have no problem replacing your module but to answer your question, No there should be no difference. And honestly you are testing above spec. and there is no way we can guarantee that every module will be able to hit this Freq. For the RMA let’s try replacing the modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Archived