Corsair Community

System w/A7N8X Deluxe w/XMS2700LLPT Keeps Crashing

kyodylee

Here's my rig's pertinent specs: WinXP Pro SP1 plus all updates A7N8X Deluxe PCB ver. 1.04 (AwardBIOS v.1002) Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333FSB 768 MB Corsair XMS2700 333MHz LLPT (Pair of Twin-2x256 plus 1x256) using all 3 slots - twins in 1&3, lone in 2. Vantec 470W PSU SB Audigy 2 Platinum ATI Radeon 9000 PRO 128MB Problem: Constant program crashes, OS crashes, blue screen of death, freezes, hangs, reboots, you name it. System booted up right away on initial smoke test boot-up with no problems at all. But after adding programs and under stress, crashes started and keeps getting worse. Windows-based memory diagnostics (PC-Doctor & System Suite 5) showed memory pattern errors when testing all 3 DIMMs together. When I removed DIMMS and tested one at a time - no errors. All memory and CPU settings in BIOS were set to optimal. This is not an overclocked PC. But after reading these forums, I upped the DDR voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 and I also checked memory with memtest86 with all 3 DIMMs in place. I got a whole slew of errors. I haven't yet tested one at a time. I'll do that next. So RAM guy, or anyone else, whatcha think? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that Memory Freq is at 100%. If you try to run the memory at DDR400 and the CPU at 333Mhz it will cause a bottle neck in the CPU and may generate errors. If you still get errors I would test them one at a time. Also with three modules I would set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts.

Ok, the memory frequency was set to Auto. I changed it to 100% per your recommendation. It was not my intention to run the memory at DDR400 as all memory settings were set to either Auto or Optimal. So I thought they would be set correctly for my board/CPU. The Timings are now set as follows: Active Precharge - 5 (No change from previous) RAS to CAS - 3 (I changed this from 2) RAS Precharge - 2 (No change) CAS Latency - 2 (No change) DIMM voltage is at 2.7 I ran MemTest86 again. This time I only got 2 errors, down from 30+ errors before changing settings. Both errors were on Test 4 at the same address on two passes. Also, I made the changes yesterday evening, and so far - no crashes for two evenings in a row. Which is unusually stable for my system! :) So, looks like your recommendations are working! But what about the 2 errors I still got on the last MemTest. Should I test the DIMMs one at a time? So RAM dude, whadda ya want for Christmas? You just gave me mine! Thanks so much for your help. :greengrin

• Corsair Employees
Probably it will be fine but I would Cass 2.5-3-2-5 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as you do not want any errors. And I have no problem replacing your moduels if you like. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Christmas Hu? Well let me think on that one! ??? Your system to just rock! And, Every one to be happy and have a great new year! That would do!

I changed the timing to Cass 2.5-3-2-5. I re-ran MemTest. This time I got only one error. It was on the 4th test, pass 3. I let it run for 4 passes. The error was at the same address that failed on the prior test. My system has not crashed for 3 days now. What should I do about the remaining error? If I were to replace a DIMM, how do I determine which of the 3 to replace? Would flashing my BIOS help? I'm still at ver. 1002. Thanks again. I liked your X'mas wish. For all our systems to ROCK! :)

Well, I flashed my BIOS to ver. 1006 and then re-ran MemTest again. This time I ran it overnight for 8 hours. All other tests had been for 1-2 hours. I had 27 errors all at the same 2 addresses on tests 4 and 5. Does this memory need to be replaced or is it still a settings or compatibility issue of some kind? BTW, my system still has not crashed even with the continuing memory errors. Maybe it's just a matter of time? Thanks again for your support.

• Corsair Employees
I would say lets try replacing the modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

RAM Guy, I hope your holiday was a healthy and happy one. Here's an update to my story. Well, I have not had a single O/S crash since I changed my memory settings manually as you suggested. Not one, and I have put my 'puter through the paces to stress it. I was having several BSODs every day. Now, all is stable. As far as running MemTest86 goes, I do not get any errors on the first two passes. If I let it continue to run, I will get a few errors. The most was 27 after 8 hours. As far as replacing the DIMMs, as you suggested, should I test each DIMM individually, as I do not know which one of the three, if any or all, to return. Also, if I were to return any DIMMs, do you suggest replacing with the exact same or is there a Corsair stick that is more compatible to my system (see above)? I really don't know how you keep up with all these forums and respond so quickly. You're great. Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
Well you too! And for sure I would test the module one at a time probably its just one weak module that's giving all the grief and we will be happy to replace it or them as needed. But let me know one way or the other I will be happy to help.

• 7 months later...
Just thought I'd come back and give an update. It's now been 7 months since I changed my memory settings to RAM GUY's suggested specifications. I still have the exact same memory sticks, I did not exchange or replace them. I haven't had a single crash since I changed the settings. Not one. Hats off to ya RAM GUY! :biggrin:

Archived