Corsair Community

RMA Request for CM2X512-4300C4

arcwolf

These modules came in a pair new from http://www.spartantech.com around middle of march this year. I installed them in my new system and used the default recommended settings for the ram. 4.4.4.12 at 538Mhz voltage at Auto. System never ran totally stable computer would reboot by its self every so often, crash during simple tasks. Like compressing zip files, or running video, browsing the web. Started getting really irritating so I figured I would run Memtest86 just as a last resort test since I was pulling my hair out testing all other things. HDD, Graphics card and drivers, processor the whole nine... Memory was the last thing on my mind... you know corsair, good stuff 300 bucks for em they must be good. Anyway, tested the memory and the test gets to exactly 40% complete, on the sticks and Red all the way from there. Tried one stick at a time, 40% complete of the test and bam red error messages for both sticks at the same spot. Tried different DDR 2 slots for each and same errors at 40% complete. Bought new XXX memory and tested those on the motherboard. No errors what so ever. System runs stable with new memory. Not a crash yet.

So, anyway, I would like an RMA on these little babies, they appear to be defective. I doubt spartan will accept them back as they appear to have a 20 day return policy.

Thanks

ArcWolf.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Following tests were performed:

CM2X512-4300C4 Dual Channel Mode was ran at 4-4-4-12 Voltage = 1.8V - MemTest86 Failed at Test 5 98% complete with errors starting at 1MB continues until stop. :(:

CM2X512-4300C4 Single channel mode (1 Stick ) at 4-4-4-12 Voltage = 1.8V - MemTest86 Failed at Test 5 98% complete with errors starting at 1MB continues until stop. --- Both sticks tested in different slots with this setting both fail at Test 5 98% complete :(:

CM2X512-4300C4 Dual Channel mode at 4-4-4-12 voltage = 2.1V - MemTest86 Failed at Test 5 98% complete same as above. :(:

CM2X512-4300C4 Single Channel mode 4-4-4-12 voltage = 2.1v - Same Test 5 98% complete then fail. :(:

CM2X512-4300C4 Dual and Single mode both tested at 2.2 V same settings, same failure. :(:

Kicks and grins :

CM2X512-4300C4 Dual mode tested at 2.2V 5-5-5-15 and Dropped the MHZ down the lowest system speed 400Mhz - Test failed at same spot. :(:

Other tests:

OZC26671024ELDCGE-K Dual mode tested at 1.8V default settings 4-4-4-8 All Tests passed. :sunglasse

OZC26671024ELDCGE-K Dual Mode tested at 2.0V default settings 4-4-4-8 All Tests passed. :cool:

I duno what the deal is with the CM2x memories but they don’t want to make it through a test no matter what settings I use. :sigh!:

"However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure."

I duno about you guys but DDR2 MB's don’t grow on trees around my house. :laughing: and buying another set of DDR2 for my system just about broke me. So, maybe you could be so kind as to be specific as to what this "other problem" might be. Everything else tests out fine on this computer. I just played a REALLY long game of Unreal 2004 last night at MAX detail and resolution and the system was solid as a rock. I couldn’t do that with the CM2x's. This puppy would have puked well before 10 minutes of good solid fun. I mean hard crash, lock up reboot style.

Thanks for the recommendations and any more would be nice, as I would prefer not to go through the hassle of returning if anything can be done to force them to work in my computer. 2GB of ram would be pretty sweet in my computer dont ya know :eek:

ArcWolf

Let's try replacing your modules, but did you try and reset/Load setup Defaults in the bios before you test these modules since you had other memory in your system?

Yes, and it still reports the same error. Thanks again for your help.

ArcWolf

Archived