Corsair Community

Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS

EricLeSaux

Hello,

Rome Total War would always crash at the same spot. Eventually I ran Microsoft's Windows Memory Diagnostics and my memory failed the Stride6 test (I got 2GB of Corsair Value Select PC 3200 [VS1GBKIT400] in 4 x 512MB).

I ran the test again with only two sticks at a time (1GB), so only 2 out of 4 slots used, and the memory never failed. It only fails the test when I have 4 installed. The game runs fine, too, in the 1GB configuration.

Could there be some incompatibility between my Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS and the VS1GBKIT400?

Thanks,

Eric

Only the latest cores can run 4 modules at DDR400, so of the voltage does not solve the issue I would set it to DDR333.

I changed the voltage to 2.8 without success.

Setting it down to DDR333 failed, too.

Maybe my timings are wrong? What should I use?

I tried tCL 2.5 and 3, tRAS 8, tRCD 3, tRP 3 and tRC 12.

• Corsair Employees

Let's make sure you done have a failing module.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to "BY SPD", and then test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both or all of the modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Ok. I started the tests with my stable configuration, 2 x 512MB in slots 2 and 3. Here is what memtest reports:

Memory: 1024MB, 2067MB/s

Settings: CAS 2.5-3-3-8 RAM 200MHz (DDR401)

Memtest generates no errors, Rome - Total War (RTW) passes the test.

Then I added two more modules in slots 0 and 1. Memtest reports the following settings:

Memory: 2048MB, 1826MB/s

Settings: CAS 2.5-3-3-7 RAM 167MHz (DDR334)

It looks like my BIOS automatically trottled down the memory to DDR333, with slightly different CAS timings. Memtest generates no errors but RTW crashes.

I changed the settings to 2.5-3-3-8 and 2.5-3-3-10 in the hope that it would help RTW, but it still crashes. (I use CPU-Z to double-check my actual timings).

Finally, I reconfigured my system in 2 x 512MB but using the other two slots (0 and 1) this time. Memtest succeeds again, and RTW runs fine.

Two things are important to state:

1. RTW systematically crashes at roughly the same place when I have 2GB installed, but doesn't in none of the 1GB configurations.
  2. Although memtest never did fail tonight (I never did more than 1 pass), note that Microsoft's Windows Memory Diagnostic did systematically fail its Stride6 test (and only that specific test) in the 4 x 512MB configuration, but never failed with 2 x 512MB.

I hope my tests bring some light to this problem. I can do more tests if you have other ideas.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
What do you have the AGP Apature size set to? I would try a minimum of 128 Meg or max of 256 Meg and see if that helps. And set the AGP Voltage to 1.6 Volts and make sure the memory voltage is set to 2.8 Volts as well.

The memory is now receiving 2.8v.

I got the PCI-express version of the X800 XL. I could not find a BIOS setting for the AGP aperture and the closest I found is the PCI Express Maximum Payload Size (which is set currently at 4096 bytes, the maximum I can set in the BIOS). Not sure how to increase the videocard voltage as I did not find something obviously equivalent such as "PCI express voltage".

I tried to increase the Hypertransport Vdd to 1.4v (from 1.2v), and the chipset voltage 1.6v (from 1.5v). Nothing helped.

Then I removed again 2 modules (not the same ones as last time) and RTW works fine again. I am baffled!! :eek:

My memory is definitely working as it should. The problem is - at least in part - in my older Athlon 64 memory controller. Thanks for helping me diagnose the issue.

I'll try one of my earlier questions:

I asked my retailer if I could exchange my 4x512MB for 2x1GB, and that won't work.

Is there a trade-in program at Corsair?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
No I am sorry we do not sell direct so this is not easy for us to do. But you are welcome to talk to our customer service and see if there is anything they can do. 888-222-4346 and dial "0".

Archived