Corsair Community

Prime95 - PC3500 & voltages

TANKORR

RAMGUY I am currently testing stability with Prime95 and at stock voltage on the RAM I get errors @ 4hour - with a slight bump to vdimm 2.77 it will run 6 hours. My question is how much high will be safe for my two sticks? XP2400+ 12.5X192 vcore is 1.9 if I go to 1.95 I get no errors but I am trying to keep the vcore at its lowest point for my current settings. Timings are according to the FAQ MB = Epox 8RDA+ rev 1.1 (A2) Thanks

the stick should be warrantied up to 2.8. drop your multiplier to 9.5 until you finish your FSB climb, so you can fully hit the wall of the mobo (if you are OC'ing that high). your using too high of a multiplier, and will not reach 200 or beyond without juicing the cpu. after your done with your fsb climb, then up multi and core as seen fit, till you have no more room in temperature/ are happy/ cant stabilize anymore, etc. use vdimm 2.6, and if you feel you need it, then bump up by .1. take a look at my config in my sig, it may help you on your OC run.

Well prior to my post I had made it to 12.0x200 but it was not stable - the chipset just did not have the power to support it w/o a voltage mod. So I backed down to 12.5x195 and had no issues. I wanted to see how I can lower my vcore and still maintain a nice OC. If 2.8 is the max for the vdimm then it would appear that I have to back off a bit. I guess it seems that the proc seems to be able to overcome the Prime errors at 1.95 vcore but I am a bit worried about the amount of power - temps as reported from MBM are 37c @ full load which might need to be adjusted by a +7-10c since I think (waiting confirmation) it takes the temp from the socket.

if you configured MBM correctly, it wil read from the diode. im assuming your on water/ other forms of cooling besides air? dont worry too much about clock. you will gain the most by increasing your system bandwith to the limit (fsb). you will gain little by actual cpu speed. start out with vdimm 2.6 and only bump up by .1 if you need too.

Well I did some testing at lower multipliers and found that the best I can do is about 10.5x200 - lowering the mulitpiler and raising the FSB did not help - windows can load but 3D Mark fails... My 3D mark and AquaMark score's are higher at 12.5x192 vcore 1.87 then at 10.5x200 the A2 chipset is holding me back beyond 200 so I am best back at the place my prior tests have me - which is a nice 400MHz OC on my xp2400+ with a decent FSB. Breaking 17k on 3D Mark and 40K in AquaMark3 + prime95 stable at 8+ hours with no errors or warnings - I t test it to 12hrs this week. I understand if I volt mod my MB I can increase the voltace to the chipset and be abble to obtain a stable 200+ FSB but I am not sure I am ready for it since I have never soldered before. I guess I should be happy with what I have but I have this bug kinda like working on a car... cheers

make sure you prime it for at least 16 1/2 hours before you declare it stable. if your bios doesnt offer chipset voltage controls (mine doesnt either.. well it does (im on a modded bios), but it is not tied to mobo), then yea, your only choice would be to to do the volt mod. you can try lapping the NB, putting a sink on the SB, and maybe putting sinks in various places on the board... and you might gain some more MHZ out of it, without having to revert to volt mod. but to take it really far, volt mod is in order (and good cooling for the board itself as well). i wouldnt bother though. if you mess up (like i have read about many people doing), then your board is fried. but.. you can do it if you like. no harm in learning and experimenting (well.. err.. sometimes, ha). just be prepared to shell out cash for a new board if it fries. i know exactly what your feeling. like you want to squeeze every last drop of MHZ out of the board, haha, and just want more and more. i know the feeling all too well. but in reality, you are in a better place then you were at stock. so it is still a win/win situation after you are completely stabilized. use this version of prime (seems the most reliable for me): [url]http://lettuce.edsc.ulst.ac.uk/gimps/p95v235.exe[/url] set to half or 1/3 of your mem b4 you torture test. pershoot.

Thanks for the tips and the quick replies! As for mods I have done some to the MB - I have an Iceberq on the NB and a passive Zalman on the SB and al the mosfets are sinked - the case has 3 intake 3 exhaust (not incl the PS) and a 92mm on the SLK900 (HS/F) I will check out the link and go from there as for the volt mod well... we shall see ;) A few beers does wonders for your sence of adventure -lol-

Well I lookat at the area and determine that it would take more than my n00bish hand to do a good job on my MB. The area is very small and a drop in the wrong area miht hit some really tiny chips... I am thinking about how much will I actually gain vs. what I risk...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived