Corsair Community

Gigabyte 955x Pro with Corsair 5400C4 ddr2 issue

kreuky

Hi,

I just recently built my new system with the following specs

Antec 450w TruPower PSU

Pentium D 830 (3Ghz)

Gigabyte 955x Pro mobo

Two packs of 2x512MB Twin Pack Corsair 5400 ddr2 675mhz memory (2gig total memory)

Nothing is overclocked (all stock)

The problem i had was when i was installing windows with all four sticks in, it would randomly blue screen. I then removed one of the packs (had modules from one pack in slots 1 and 3) and Windows installed almost fine. I say almost because it did install, but during the install it complained about being unable to copy some files and when i hit retry, it worked fine.

So, with 1 gig the system worked relatively all right (didn't thoroughly test it) but when i put the other 1 gig back in, i was getting random blue screens again. The blue screens were sometimes IRQ errors, sometimes no error, sometimes problem with a particular file (ntfs.sys, cdfs.sys) but mostly PAGE_FAULT errors.

In my experience these symptoms indicate issues with the memory. I haven't run mem test on it yet, but i will when i get a chance to. I was just wondering whether there were any known issues or if anyone has any ideas to solve the problem. The media is not bad, and none of the other components in the system are causing any issues and all work perfectly.

A friend also had issues with his corsair memory (different system altogether, was ddr and older mobo) but when he increased the voltage, he managed to get it to work (though his problem was that the system kept rebooting).

• Corsair Employee
I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 Volts and see if that helps, in addition, the PSU you have listed may not be enough with this configuration. There would need to be about 48 Watts just for memory and with the config you gave you would be pushing more than 380 Watts continuous, and I thin the PSU you have is about 350 Watts Max continuous output. But please check with the PSU maker to be sure.

I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 Volts and see if that helps, in addition, the PSU you have listed may not be enough with this configuration. There would need to be about 48 Watts just for memory and with the config you gave you would be pushing more than 380 Watts continuous, and I thin the PSU you have is about 350 Watts Max continuous output. But please check with the PSU maker to be sure.

hmm just ran memtest and there were a lot of errors on test 5 towards the end...2000-2048mbs...gonna try individual sticks now

hmm just ran memtest and there were a lot of errors on test 5 towards the end...2000-2048mbs...gonna try individual sticks now

well i decided to up the voltage first (+0,2v)...and no errors on test5! gonna run a full memtest and see how that goes..thanks RAM guy

messed around with it a bit more and upped the voltage this time by 0.1 volts and everything seems stable so far...no errors on memtest..tried some 3D games and it was stable..gonna try some superPi now..

I would suggest setting the Dim Voltage to +.2 Volts with Giga-byte MB's in general as they tend to under volt the memory.

+.2 caused a few errors in memtest though i didn't get any blue screens...but at +.1 it was running perfectly (touchwood) no mem errors and ran all my games and super pi fine...no blue screens so far..

Archived