Corsair Community

Cannot boot with 2GB XMS 3200 and an A7N8X Deluxe

Vash63

I've had two 512MB sticks for a while, my motherboard has 3 slots so I decided to get another 1GB stick. One of the 512MB Sticks is CMX512-3200 (Nothing after that). It worked fine with the other 512MB stick (CMX512-3200C2) for over a year, but it won't boot if I also have the 1GB stick (CMX1024-3200C2PT) in. I can, however, boot up fine with the 1024 stick and the 512C2 stick. My timings are 3-3-3-8, which should be fine even for the older stick.

Memory arrangement:

Socket 1: CMX1024-3200C2PT

Socket 2: CMX512-3200C2

Socket 3: CMX512-3200

I have tried switching sockets 2 and 3, but I know the dual channel will not be balenced properly with the 1024 stick in any other socket on this motherboard (I want 1024MB in each channel, if possible). It will not even post, so I can't run a Memtest, I'm going to try running it with each stick seperately though (Boots fine with that. Works perfectly unless the old 3200 and the new 1GB stick are in together). It also doesn't matter what clock speeds the are at, I tried underclocking my whole system down to 333Mhz (166DDR), still doesn't work.

Is there anything I can do about it? I had heard that you can run a setup like this fine with an AMD system (Although Intel would not run dual channel with an odd number of sticks). Seems kind of weird that the two 512MB sticks would work together, and 1GB stick would work fine with the 512MB, but not the other.

Any option other than selling my two 512 sticks and buying a second 1GB? Any way to arrange an exchange (I would be more than willing to pay any price difference if neccessary).

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry as we do not sell direct and would not have any way to do this, if you just purchased these you can see if the reseller can help you. Other wise I would try and find another use for the older modules and just get a Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance.

Ok, I got a return arranged...I'll probably just buy the TwinX sticks at a later date. Wish it could have worked out easier though, this way costs a bit more and I have to arrange a sale of my older RAM. Thanks anyway.

Ahhh, nice. I got it working perfectly. Just required some tweaking...apperently it didn't like booting at 2.5-4-4-8. I set it to 2.5-3-3-8 and it boots fine, and that's even faster. Great performance so far (The main reason I buy Corsair...my oldest stick is like 3 years old and still performs up with top DDR sticks). Guess I won't have to get those new sticks.

So, I'd still like to know why sometimes it will work with different sticks, but other times requires the same sticks...I have heard both sides. In the past it worked with different sticks, and it seems it did this time too (After some tweaking). Seems to make sense that you might be held back by having more sticks, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. This will be my last post if you don't reply, sorry for all of the bumping.

Archived