Corsair Community

Flash Voyager - Unreliable?

my5tica1azn

I ordered 2 1-gig Voyagers from Newegg. They arrived so I tested them out. Neither worked right from the start. No flashing light, no recognition by the system. Nothing. So I do a replacement with Newegg and get 2 more. I plug in the first one and same thing. Absolutely nothing. I had a little more luck with the second one though I wonder how long it will last. Why are so many of these Voyagers just not working? It's absurd for me to have to return the product twice just so I can hope that the 3rd times a charm.

• Corsair Employees

That might suggest some other problem, as the return rate of these is less than .001%. At any rate I have no problem replacing them directly if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Please either call our Tech support at 888-222-4346 and dial "2" when you are in front of your system and we can try to help you figure out what might be going on. But can you tell us the make and model of your system/MB and if this is a home built PC what is the make and model of your PSU?

I tried the voyager on 4 separate computers: 2 desktops, 2 laptops

1. Desktop (the "newer" one)

P4 2.2

768 ram

not quite sure of the Mobo...I'll have to check when I get back home

Antec TruePower of 430 W(I think...at least 400 I know that for sure)

2. Desktop (the oooolllldd one)

P2 400 Mhz

256 ram

clueless on the mobo :confused:

300 W PSU I think..don't remember brand

3 and 4 Laptops

Both are Asus W1N laptops, purchased within 1 month ago

It worked fine on all computers until about a little more than a week ago where it just plain died.

Please either call our Tech support at 888-222-4346 and dial "2" when you are in front of your system and we can try to help you figure out what might be going on. But can you tell us the make and model of your system/MB and if this is a home built PC what is the make and model of your PSU?

• Corsair Employees
Are you using other USB devises with these systems and please give as much detail as possible. Let me put it this way. I have this same notebook and had some issues with USB devices that were solved with the latest bios. With your desktop systems more details might help figure out the problem, but what I suspect is a voltage issue from what you have posted. For example with many MB's; will by default use the standby voltage to power the USB hub so you can use a USB KB to power on the system, but the downside is the standby voltage on most PSU's is rated at 1-2 amps and if you have multiple USB devices you might be running out of currant, and most channel MB's give you the option by jumper to select the power source for the USB and changing it to the +5 Volt rail in stead of the +5 Volts standby rail will normally solve issues like this. In the odd case that you might have a OEM system that you do not have the option to set the power source you can run your USB devices that need more power off of an externally powered HUB to get around this type of issue. But we really need more information about your systems to figure it out.

On the laptops, no other usb devices were attached. Brand new laptops. The desktops, I would understand if the older one failed with the key however the newer one, I am not running anything on usb. Nothing was attached at the time of attaching the key. The key did work for about 2 weeks and then it stopped working suddenly. So it's not the issue of it not working from the start (at least for this key it isn't). I'll try to compile a more detailed list of the computers as soon as possible.

Addition:

My mobo is an older one (Intel D845EBG2) with the latest bios possible.

Update:

I just took the voyager to my office and there it also doesn't work. I'm pretty sure that this one is dead...5 computers...none working...

Let's get it replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Has Corsair identified the root cause of these types of failures? Is it ESD caused (hard failure), file corruption (soft failure), USB interface IC out of spec, bad device assembly (bonding wires or surface mount electrical contacts), etc? These issues need to be addressed.

• Corsair Employees
Right now you are the only one that I have seen with this type of problem. So I am not sure there is an issue. Just it sounds like you have had some bad luck but I will check the RMA's and see if there is any thing that might suggest a problem.

Right now you are the only one that I have seen with this type of problem. So I am not sure there is an issue. Just it sounds like you have had some bad luck but I will check the RMA's and see if there is any

thing that might suggest a problem.

I am a prospective buyer. I was on the verge of purchasing this flash drive, but halted when I read all the posts of people whose flash drives "died". I was hoping that you'd share an explanation with me. My suspicions are raised by the fact that there's a rebate at Fry's right now on the Voyager, which is one of the tricks of some manufacturers when they have a high RMA rate. Can you tell me what is the likely cause of these customers' reports of dead Voyagers? Corsair's best bet is to address this problem ASAP. Change the supplier, or change your manufacturing methods in the next rev.

LMAO! You're seeing people getting their drives RMA'd because this is one of the places to RMA stuff. If someone's not having a problem, they don't really have a reason to post here, now do they?

Also, from what I can find, the rebate's from Fry's, not Corsair.

LMAO! You're seeing people getting their drives RMA'd because this is one of the places to RMA stuff. If someone's not having a problem, they don't really have a reason to post here, now do they?

Also, from what I can find, the rebate's from Fry's, not Corsair.

Is that derision, or a good-hearted jestering? Anyway, Yes, I am aware one of the primary functions of this forum is that of customer service, which tends to draw negativity, troubleshooting, and RMAs. I've been to many other types of product forums, like you probably, and after a while there's a kind of intuition about things. So I believe some kinds of questions are appropriately raised, and those are: failure rates and the cause of the "dead" failures.

By the way, what is the green facial lotion that you use? :laughing:

The point is though is that there's absolutely no way the posts here can be used to derive the failure rates being that no one here knows the total amount sold of said product.

:laughing:

Of course you can't derive a statistical value without the necessary variables; deriving is inherently a mathematical term. But as I pointed out at the beginning, there are questions raised when customers like my5tica1azn has bought 5 Voyagers, but only 1 survived (a derived 80% failure rate for that individual)!

If the failure rate is assumed to be roughly the same as the return rate (~0.001%), the chance that a customer will receive 3 bad widgets is roughly (0.00001)*(0.00001)*(0.00001) = 10^-15. Expressed another way, there is a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance that this will happen. Even if you have 100 million customers, there would be 0.00001% chance that even one customer would receive 3 duds out of 3 randomly selected widgets. So it is puzzling why this particular customer experienced this. It may be that there is a 0.001% failure rate, or perhaps my5tica1azn did something wrong, but that implies that it may be too easy to damage the Voyager. :cool:

That is true, but what we dont know is how many people baught 5 or more and have had no problem at all. I would guess that is a large number as the return rate on these products is less that .002%.

The likelihood of having 1 or more dead devices out of 5 at the beginning is less than 0.005%, which is really low. So, my guess is that it seems to be caused by something the customer is doing. (Maybe unplugging during a write cycle?) It would be interesting to interview the customer to find out the conditions. Bye.

Actually I doubt it is my fault considering these never worked from the start. Initial plug in was never recognized by any computers. The single one that did work had no faults for 2 weeks. I was transferring files on one computer and 5 min later (after properly removing it), it would not read at all on any other computers.

Archived