Corsair Community

iCue reading real time CPU temp when I think AVG CPU temp would be better....

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

I would first like to apologize if this topic has already been covered.  I searched and couldn't find it...so thought I would ask here:

When I build (or select) the fan profile in iCue there are lots of options to reference the speed by. Fixed / Temp Curve / Load Curve...etc.  I prefer to have the fan speed scale on the CPU package temp.  The down side to this is that the reading on the CPU temp appears to be real time with a very quick not average sample rate.  So my CPU temp will show 41c then 57c then back to 39c all in a very short time window.  This causes my case fans to pulse up and is incredible annoying.

I think this function would work much better if the CPU temp was a 5 sec AVERAGE not real time.  Is there a way to do this? Or a better way to set my fans up? 

Thanks!

• Solution
Posted (edited)

This is referred to as fan hysteresis or sometimes fan delay. Rather than average the cpu temp (which could still produce erratic results), it requires the temp to remain elevated for a specific number of seconds before it allows a fan response. Most motherboard headers have some way to implement this, but then they usually only have CPU temp as a native data source so it is necessary. 

What you should do is stop using CPU temp as the control source. Unless you are using CUE and a Corsair controller to regulate a small, CPU air cooler’s fans, case and radiator fan speed have no affect on CPU temp.  Likewise your CPU spiking to 80C does not affect case temps. Your CPU is cooled conductively regardless of your cooling device type. The radiator and fans (air or water cooling) are there to blow accumulated heat somewhere else, effectively taking out the trash. Your case fans help regulate internal case ambient temperature. Neither have any connection to CPU temperature. 

You didn’t say what controller you are using. If it’s an AIO, then you have coolant temp and that is why it’s there. It’s a relative measure of the amount of energy added to the coolant stream, less the amount of energy it can blow off. Coolant temp goes up when your cpu is using sustained watts, not a momentary spike to temp X. Coolant temp is the minimum possible CPU temp when at zero volts. When you add more watts into the system than the cooler can dissipate, the coolant temp goes up and the fans speed up to increase heat dissipation.  Each +1C to coolant increases the CPU temp by 1C, regardless of current CPU load. These are slow changes that do not require rapid fan response. 

If you’re using a Commander as a general case fan controller, you can use the temp probes to measure air temperature. Placing it near the rear exhaust (inside or outside the case) will give you a good indication of internal case temp changes. Whatever the source of heat in the case, it will trigger fan speed changes for the case fans. This also is a slow changing variable and you don’t need the case fans to be overly reactive. They simply need to exhaust warmer case air out and bring in cooler air to replace it. 

Edited by c-attack

All of this makes perfect sense and I have implemented the suggested control strategy and it works great.

Thanks for the detail info / practical advice!

I come from an engine management / tuning background and I still think iCue has tons of features / adjustability that could be implement to make the software better.  That being said this solution works for now.

I am not sure why hysteresis has not been added at this point.  It's essential for volatile variables and it can help override problems with hardware temp data collection.  It is there natively on CPU temp for the Commander Core/XT, but it's not addressable as a control option, it's parameters are unclear, and it only applies to CPU temp which doesn't relate to what most users need for fan control in this segment.