Corsair Community

Link fan speeds? Cooling

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

I don't know is this is by design or not.

If I change fan speed on one fan, I have to change all of them separately.

Can I link the fans together so when I change one, all of the fans change?

fan.PNG

Not in the way you are imagining. That was the old way CUE worked, but it went to this individual drop down UI a few years back. However, there is a partial workaround. 

You’ll want to start using your own custom curve no matter what. The presets have hidden temp vs rpm control points and Quiet does not have a universal meaning across CUE. It is device specific. At least with the Commander Core it will use that coolant temp as the control variable and not cpu temp. If you click on the yellow + in the cooling tab, a graph will appear down below. In the lower right corner are several shape tools and you probably have two sets on the Com Core. The ones with a water droplet are for water cooling, but you can use it for all fans. If you hover, it should reveal each as the Quiet, Balanced, or Extreme preset. Choose Quiet and make sure the sensor control variable is set to H170i Coolant Temp. 

It’s the same curve as the preset, but now you can see and move data points. Besides being more user friendly, this also opens up options for fixed speeds. Changing it from temp control to a fixed speed will instantly change all fans on that fan curve. Moving a data point in the curve will change all fans at the same time. 

You can leave the default points for now if you like, but there’s no such thing as a universal control curve. Room temp, case temp, hardware, and case design all play a part in your normal baseline coolant temp and that also is going to change seasonally. Figure out your normal baseline temp (32-34C?) and keep it flat at those temps. Set a moderate fan speed about 10C above that. That’s as high as your coolant temp should reach and usually only with gpu watts heating up the case. If you’re going to run a CPU stress test, set a fixed speed before you start. It keeps results more consistent and unless you regularly run cpu encoding, renders, etc., you don’t need to don’t need to program your fan curves to operate in that zone. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, c-attack said:

Not in the way you are imagining. That was the old way CUE worked, but it went to this individual drop down UI a few years back. However, there is a partial workaround. 

You’ll want to start using your own custom curve no matter what. The presets have hidden temp vs rpm control points and Quiet does not have a universal meaning across CUE. It is device specific. At least with the Commander Core it will use that coolant temp as the control variable and not cpu temp. If you click on the yellow + in the cooling tab, a graph will appear down below. In the lower right corner are several shape tools and you probably have two sets on the Com Core. The ones with a water droplet are for water cooling, but you can use it for all fans. If you hover, it should reveal each as the Quiet, Balanced, or Extreme preset. Choose Quiet and make sure the sensor control variable is set to H170i Coolant Temp. 

It’s the same curve as the preset, but now you can see and move data points. Besides being more user friendly, this also opens up options for fixed speeds. Changing it from temp control to a fixed speed will instantly change all fans on that fan curve. Moving a data point in the curve will change all fans at the same time. 

You can leave the default points for now if you like, but there’s no such thing as a universal control curve. Room temp, case temp, hardware, and case design all play a part in your normal baseline coolant temp and that also is going to change seasonally. Figure out your normal baseline temp (32-34C?) and keep it flat at those temps. Set a moderate fan speed about 10C above that. That’s as high as your coolant temp should reach and usually only with gpu watts heating up the case. If you’re going to run a CPU stress test, set a fixed speed before you start. It keeps results more consistent and unless you regularly run cpu encoding, renders, etc., you don’t need to don’t need to program your fan curves to operate in that zone. 

A follow up question if you don't mind.

If I click on one of the cooling presets, nothing happens. I thought that clicking on one of those would change all the fans.

You can see that I clicked on Extreme but all the fans and pump are still on quiet. I think I need to find a video that explains iCue.

cooling.PNG

Edited by HDriscoll

• Solution

No, that was the old way.  Since CUE 4 you must change it at the fan point.  The alternate method I suggested above only works with Custom curves and what you're really doing is changing the actual curve data points (fixed, temp control), which then automatically is applied to all those fans running the custom curve.  The presets are not visible, let alone editable.  This is why I suggest most people make a custom curve copy of the preset they want to use, so they can see the data points, make a quick change to fixed speed, etc.