Corsair Community

I have a bad module.

I have been using 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2. One of the sticks has gone bad. It only shows up as 166mhz. My bios settings are correct. The other stick still reads 200mhz. I tested the bad stick in another board with the same readings @166. I have done all the troubleshooting but I'm pretty sure the module is bad.

When I install the bad module, my Bios reads it as 166. When I reboot with the good module, it boots at 200. I paid for 200, I want 200 not 166!!! When both are installed together it still reads 166. Here are the numbers off the module.

XMS3202v1.1

My MOBO is MSI K7N2 Delta2

You don't understand, the FSB of your CPU is 333 Mhz, it can't do 400 Mhz. Testing 200 Mhz memory in that system can cause errors that aren't memory related. You'd have to test it in a 400 Mhz FSB system.

Your system should boot at 333FSB and DDR333.

If you did not buy a TwinX set, then the OLDER module probably has a different SPD programmed into it allowing the computer to properly boot at DDR333. The newer module probably has a newer SPD which forces it to boot at DDR400.

This is something you can manually set in the BIOS, but not something reccommended with a 333FSB processor, however, with the 2800's, it's pretty easy to OC to a 400FSB, if you care to know how.

nForce 2 chipsets are notorious for tossing up errors when running FSB333 and DDR400, thus it isn't a good idea.

Even though you paid for DDR400 memory, that DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT WILL ALWAYS RUN AT THAT SPEED. What it means is that it is CAPABLE of running at that speed. Almost all memory can be underclocked.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest you install the modules in slots 1-2 so they are not in dual channel and set the memory frequency and timings manually.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts (If you Over Clock 2.8 Volts)

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Then you can test them with http://www.memtest.org.

Archived