Corsair Community

ASUS Board Failure - Memory is being Questioned

Roger Rines

A problem has surfaced that ASUS, my MB manufacturer, asked for me to check to be sure the memory being used on the board is correct for the system and shows the correct timings in the BIOS.

MB: ASUS - P5AD2-E Premium - 800 FSB

Memory Requirements:

Dual-channel memory architecture

4x240-pin DIMM sockets support

unbufferred

non-ECC 711/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules

Native DDR2-711 Support

CPU: Intel LGA775 P4 - 3.4 GHz - 800 FSB

Memory Used: Corsair Twin2x1024-5400 4,4,4,12

BIOS shows:

• CAS# Latency = 5
    RAS# PreCharge = 4
    RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
    RAS Activate to PreCharge = 15
    Write Recovery = 4

I'm not really qualified to understand the impact of this information, but in reading a memory article referenced in another thread on this forum, it would seem my installation should be fine with the BIOS default settings.

Long Memory Test with Memtest86 show no errors.

Are my assumptions that the native BIOS timing being used should be okay for a reliable installation?

Regards,

Roger...

I'm using that RAM in that same MOBO just fine. I would suggest that you look in the manual and read how to set your memory timings manually and set them to the aforementioned 4,4,4,12 timings. Also, you post this in the watercooling section.

Mike.

I'm using that RAM in that same MOBO just fine. I would suggest that you look in the manual and read how to set your memory timings manually and set them to the aforementioned 4,4,4,12 timings. Also, you post this in the watercooling section.

Mike.

Thanks for responding Mike.

Let's see if I get this right as I'm not an experienced tweaker, but the manual and the BIOS is very clear on how to change the settings.

Change the BIOS Settings so they show these values:

BIOS shows:

• CAS# Latency = 4
    RAS# PreCharge = 4
    RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
    RAS Activate to PreCharge = 12
    Write Recovery = 4

With that said, do you see any reason why the memory wouldn't perform reliably, not speed wise, just not crash with the default BIOS settings?

Yes, actually.

You might need to set the DDR Voltage (VDimm) to 1.9 volts (within warranty, btw) and double check the memory frequency (this should pop up on the POST screen when booting), but is also detailed in the BIOS section of the mainboard manual. These modules will reliably run up to DDR-II 675 at 4-4-4-12 timings.

Also, have you gone to support.asus.com and checked to see if you have the latest BIOS and/or chipset drivers?

PLUR

CK

Yes, actually.

Thanks. I suspected the memory was really okay where it was, but they asked me to check and I did. Now the answer is "Yes, actually".

You might need to set the DDR Voltage (VDimm) to 1.9 volts (within warranty, btw) and double check the memory frequency (this should pop up on the POST screen when booting), but is also detailed in the BIOS section of the mainboard manual. These modules will reliably run up to DDR-II 675 at 4-4-4-12 timings.

The voltage wasn't checked, but it is easy to check. Power Supply is an "O C Z 600 ADJ" - 600W that the MB's ASUS Probe software reports is rock solid and very stable. It also runs very cool, indicating that pulling more from it, if necessary, won't be a stretch. [Note: Forum converts the letters O C Z to XXX when they are placed without spaces between the letters and the following number.]

Also, have you gone to support.asus.com and checked to see if you have the latest BIOS and/or chipset drivers?

PLUR

CK

Yes on the BIOS. MB has the latest BIOS that is available.

Continuing MB discussions with an ASUS Tech indicates that he is concerned the Northbridge chip might be failing, or faulty. With the memory answer affirming the type, model and BIOS settings are all fine, the next step will be to exchange the MB.

Thanks for the help.

If you try that VDimm setting and still get the same issues, I would definately look at the Northbridge/chipset.

The command rate may also be tested at 2T to see if that helps, if it doesn't, that really points to the MCH (memory controller hub in chipset).

PLUR

CK

p.s. Most competitors names turn into XXX on these forums. This allows us to discuss issues and such without stomping on or touting any other manufacturers.

These are the only timings I'd suggest messing with:

CAS# Latency = 4

RAS# PreCharge = 4

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4

RAS Activate to PreCharge = 12

The write recovery should be left to default or AUTO settings. And, I believe that the maximum voltage recommended within warranty is either 2.0v or 2.1v but I am not 100% certain. FWIW, I run mine at 2.0v.

Mike.

Archived