Corsair Community

questio 4 mr ram guy

roomer

Dear Mr Ram Guy, I would like to pose the following question I recently purchased an Abit IC7 Motherboard (Dual Channel DDR 400) and matched this with Corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT (cas 2632 as stated on ram module) and am running this with a P4 2.4 Ghz 800FSB. Installed XP, but had serious stability issue i.e. system kept rebooting and kept getting the standard XP rubbish system has recovered from serious error. Could not work out what was causing problem so posted thread in Abit forum and a user replied asking me to run a utility called memtest x86. downloaded and ran utility and to my horror 3000 memory errors, bad memory I asked myself so tested each module individually in dim slot one and hey presto no memory errors. This lead me to believe that this was a incompatibility issue, but how could this be many peeps out there are running very similar system without no issue. After a lot of jiggery pokery I got the dual channel kit to pass the memtest x86 extended test I running the following setup in my bios to achieve this. CPU Op Speed……………………….User Defined -Ext. Clock (CPU/AGP/PCI)………...200/66/33Mhz -NB Strap CPU………………………PSB800 Dram Ration (CPU:DRAM)…………5:4 AGP Ratio……………………………Fixed CPU Power Supply…………………...Default DDR SDRAM Voltage……………….2.65 AGP Votage…………………………..1.55v Memory Timings 2632 as stated on ram module. So basically the system is stable but I am not running ram at full speed 200/160 if I set the Dram ration 1:1 and try running the memory 200 (400mhz) I get 3000 + errors in memtest utility and therefore system reboots. Question therefore is why can I not run the corsair ram at full speed in dual channel mode 1:1 PS I can run memory at full speed in single channel mode 200/200 dram ration 1:1 modules in dim 1,2

• Corsair Employees
I would try setting the memory timings to By SPD and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and Disable any of the performance options you may have set and then please test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. If you get errors I would test the modules one at a time and lets make sure you may not have one weak or failing module.

Dear Mr Ram Guy, Thanks for your input but as stated I have tried testing each module singly with memtest and each module pass no problems (although I still believe there might be some issue with the memory) as to your Request at setting the timings by SPD have tried this resolve nothing infact I get many more errors I can run the memory at full speed in single channel mode both the sticks in motherboard dim 1,2 which disables dual channel but allows me to run the memory at the suggest speed of 200 and the cas timings 2632 which really gives me great performance, but I like new technology there no point buying a dual channel board and spend the extra hard cash on corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT and then running in single channel I am sure you would agree I can get the dual channel kit to work but at the settings I posted earlier but this means the memory is not running at full speed to get the best performance I need the under the current settings just to increase the Dram ration to 1:1. Also My mother board does not give me an option to increase DDR voltage to 2.75 I have it current set to 2.65 the next increment is 2.7 and then 2.8 no 2.75. Please help you’re my only hope!!!!!!!!!!! Surely as stated the memory should comfortably run at full speed with timings of 2632 in dual channel mode.

Dear Mr Ram Guy Found out from another user that if I untick automatically restart I get a BSOD instead of a reboot. below is the message I get when I get a BSOD when memory is running at full speed and in dual channel mode. Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f4087176, parameter3 f4315940, parameter4 00000000. address 256_1 0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E 0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er 0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code 0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38 1000008 0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param 0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c0 0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005, 0038: 66 34 30 38 37 31 37 36 f4087176 0040: 2c 20 66 34 33 31 35 39 , f43159 0048: 34 30 2c 20 30 30 30 30 40, 0000 0050: 30 30 30 30 0000 I hope this help seems to me that it's a problem with module in dim 1 please can you clarify further. Please Please Help regards Harpal

• Corsair Employees
First please make sure that you have the latest bios version installed and then please load setup defaults and set the memory timings to By SPD and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 Volts and leave the memory at 1-1 and please use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and test the modules one at a time. If there are no errors please test with both installed and make sure there are no errors in memtest86.com. If you do not get errors with memtest86 but you get this error in windows I would look for some other cause. Like PSU, Video card and Video driver. You might if you have another HDD you can use just to test try a fresh install of windows and see if you have or get any errors in the install.

Dear Mr Ram Guy, done as you suggested in the following order. 1. downloaded latest Bios update from abit website (bios 19) 2. loaded setup defaults 3. set memory timings by SPD 3. set Dim Voltage to 2.7 4. left memory @ 1-1 first TWINX512-3200LLPT module in dim slot 1. No errors second TWINX512-3200LLPT module in dim slot 1. no errors both modules in dim 1,2 (Single Channel) no errors both modules in 1,3 (dual channel) report below test 1 errors 274 test 2 errors 0 test 3 errors 2236 test 4 errors 8482 test 5 errors 350 test 6 errors 0 test 7 errors 0 test 8 errors 1458 test 9 errors 0 test 10 errors 14 test 11 errors 0 Many Thanks Mr Ram Guy

• Corsair Employees
Honestly that would suggest that the problem might be the CPU or MB is failing. And just to be clear you do not have any of the performance options set correct? If so please disable them. Also you might try and Disable Hyper-Threading and see if that makes a difference. If so that might suggest the CPU. But if possible I would try testing the memory on another MB as that might help to isolate the problem. Also I have seen this issue with a noisy or weak PSU as well so that may be another item you may want to look at.

Dear Mr Ram Guy, Here is my complete setup. 1. Chenbro Gaming Bomb PC61166 2. intel p4 2.4 800FSB Retail Box 3. Abit IC7 Mobo 4. Ati 9200 64ddr 5. 160 maxtor serial ATA Ok now that I have taken in account and digested what you have said, and honestly the only thing I can now iron it down to is memory or CPU the reason I say this is that I have already swapped out a warranty replacement on the board cause at first I thought that was what the issue was, I have also changed my PSU for Fortron one which got a great review from toms hardware I have also tried a friends GPU, the only thing I can now say for certain is that it is either the RAM or CPU. I can't seem to understand why the ram works fine in single channel mode and also fine in dual channel mode at a dram ration of 5:4 surly this would suggest a RAM problem as it can't run at suggested speed? personally I would rather get replacments for both my RAM and CPU that way I would have essentially replaced everything. regards Harpal

• Corsair Employees
Harpal, First off I have no problem replacing your modules, but please take some time here. If the modules will run at the rated speed one at a time or if you run both modules with hyper threading disabled. That would suggest the CPU. All of our modules are tested at the rated speed in a MB before they leave our factory. I would have a hard time believing that you got 2 bad modules, but it would be more palatable to get one that’s failing. But if both modules perform in singles with no problem that really points to some other cause. If you just want to get the memory replaced, Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Dear Mr Ram Guy, Can totally understand what you are saying in-regards to hyper-threading disabled I have tried this and still get errors in dual Channel mode running at full speed, so I think best solution 4 me is to get both my cpu and Ram replaced. thanks for all your help. Harpal

Dear Mr Ram Guy, I have got my RMA number but I have got this address to ship my memory modules to, Corsair Memory, Inc. 44141 S. Grimmer Blvd. Fremont, CA 94538 correct me if I am wrong this address is a US one and I live in UK! what would be the turn around if I send my kit to the states. surely corsair should have a uk based office? regards Harpal

• Corsair Employees
I would ask your reseller first as most off shore resellers take care of their own RMA's but if they refuse to help you. Please ship them to the address you posted to the RMA# you were given. And the time will really depend on how you ship them. But I would ask our customer service as they would know more about this. [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]

• 4 weeks later...
Dear, Mr Ram Guy, Just to let you know I decided to get my processor replaced by intel in-case as u suggested and guess wat still getting the same program have now replaced everything other the the memory. regards Harpal

Archived