Corsair Community

Is this algae inside my xd5 reservoir?

I am doing maintenance to my build, dissasemble all circuito and It looked fine, but today when was going to assemble It back I have notice this inside my xd5.

Should I care? I don't know if I should do something before mount my circuit. My idea was to add more propilenglicol like 30% and 70% distiled wáter and look at It more often.

Thank you in advance

IMG_20240309_170543628.jpg

IMG_20240309_170534100.jpg

IMG_20240309_170526166.jpg

IMG_20240309_170522594.jpg

IMG_20240309_170417599.jpg

It appears to be bio growth of some type. Unfortunately I am not sure any type of pour in and shake solution will get it all off. You likely will need to scrub it off with an acidic solution. Lots of guides out there for common household products you can use for the task as well as disassembly instructions for the XD5. It is a pain the neck, but manageable and less work than draining and removal. It’s also why all reservoirs should have a removable top so you don’t have to completely disassemble the product for routine maintenance. 

and try not to use alcohol in the loop, it doesn't go well with any kind of acrylic ("dries" it and cracks it in extreme cases).

What coolant were you using ?

Just distiled water.

It looks clean before I dissasembled the loop or at least I didn't notice. I am going to use 20% isopropyl alcohol and 80% distiled wáter, fill 70% reservoir and shake It, then repeat with distiled water. I think It Will be fine if I do It for some minutes just to clean the reservoir.

yea, it was most likely algae or some corrosion residues. Pure distilled water is corrosive, and does not protect agaisnt growth at all. it's basiucally only good as a base for a coolant mix, or for flushing the loop during maintenance. you absolutely need anticorrosive and some kind of biocide or you'll have to deal with these issues every few months.

this thing is hard stucked in the inner portlet tube, I was shaking for more than an hour with different composition, it will be my new pet, I will look at it and maybe try some  cleaning loop liquid if I can find it  for the next maintenance.

If you don’t want to disassemble it, can you get a small, thin toothbrush through the fill port?  Looking again it looks like it’s on the tube on the wall side as well. That’s going to be difficult. You probably need to take it apart. 

Edited by c-attack

@doverkan69 @c-attack  I've used a bottle brush; they can be found in various sizes everywhere and are cheap. I can remember using small ones in school science classes (many decades ago) to clean out test tubes.

There are many household products that find their way into cleaning tech because they simply work. We used to clean microwave couplers (communications) with tampons. I use makeup removal pads (along with Isopropyl alcohol) to clean up thermal paste from cold-plates and CPU's.

Edited by BlaiseP

It is in the walls but inside, a brush can't reach it. I will live with it at least until next maintenance which probably I will buy specific product to clean liquid cooling loops. 

• 3 weeks later...

@doverkan69 - exactly what I suggested.