Corsair Community

New System Stuttering

Junkman720

I just built up a new computer and it stutters/hangs up a lot when I am playing games. Its not just a graphical glitch as the sound will get messed up too. Here is a bit of backgroudn and my set up is:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

AMD 64 3500+

Twinx2048-3200c2

Leadtek 6800GT

Thermaltalke 480W PSU

Hitatchi 160 GB SATA II HD's (mirrored)

The graphics card gets its own power string from the PSU, and nothing is (or ever was) overclocked on this system. I have tried all the latest drivers for the MoBo chipset, onboard sound, graphics etc. and several drivers 1-3 releases behind the most current. Nothing has even helped the stuttering. I downloaded Riva Tuner and tried some stuff that resolved stutter on the nF3 chipset, but no luck. I have run MemTest on the system 3 times and it has passed each time. I have also ran Aquamark several times and NEVER seen a stutter (this is really making me think it may not be the graphics card, but I dunno). Any ideas?

One thing to note is that I am temped to RMA this motherboard, it refused to post on the latest 2 MSI BIOS updates. The only reason the computer is running now is that MSI sent me the latest beta driver.

My question is can incorrect memory timings cause this? The memory is set to 2.5-3-3-6 (the MoBo will auto detect 2.5-3-3-8). Is there any chance that the MoBo is messing up the many other memory timings bad enough to cause the problems I am having? I have tested the memory on a friend's computer and it seems ok.

I've seen onboard sound cause the stuttering and hangs you describe. Have you tried playing a game with the onboard sound disabled to see if the problem goes away?

I disabled the onboard sound via the device manager and am still getting the problem.

Well, if disabling onboard sound accomplished nothing, the ram passes Memtest86, the system passes aquamark, then its probably not your ram, sound, or your video card. I'd suspect either a driver conflict or some hiccup with the RAID array. Also you could be experiencing power supply problems. Does this stuttering only happen with certain games or all games?

So far it has been all games that I have tried to play on the system, it also experiences pauses (although much shorter) just navigating around in XP. Tonight I am going to try using the Silicon RAID controller instead of the nVidia controller to see if that makes a difference (if that works I'll RMA the MoBo I guess, I really want that SATA II). I will also try and borrow another PSU from a friend to see if that is the cause.

• Corsair Employees
If that does not solve the problem, I would try and reset the bios and load setup/optimized defaults and set the timings again manually and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and What do you have the AGP Apature size set to?

I perused your MSI board manual and from what I could see vdimm on this board goes as low as 2.5 volts. If the "auto" setting defaults to this value that could be causing the problem. I'd follow Ram Guys advice, as he's the only true Corsair rep on this site and has the most accurate information.

If that does not solve the problem, I would try and reset the bios and load setup/optimized defaults and set the timings again manually and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and What do you have the AGP Apature size set to?

Well the darn thing still sputters on the Silicon RAID controller. I reset my CMOS settings, tried all the MoBo BIOS I can use on my sytem and no luck. Its a PCI X16 card so no AGP apature to mess with. The system still passes memtest, so I am guessing the problem is elsewhere in the sytem. Time to try an IDE drive and a new PSU out from a friend I guess. Thanks for the help all!

• Corsair Employees
Are you using AntiVirus and or anti spam software? If I would try and disable these and see if that makes a difference, as well as any other software thats running in the background one at a time to see if its something that causing this. You can use Task Manager to stop them.

Are you using AntiVirus and or anti spam software? If I would try and disable these and see if that makes a difference, as well as any other software thats running in the background one at a time to see if its something that causing this. You can use Task Manager to stop them.

There is literally nothing on the computer right now other then the required drivers (none of the bundled monitoring or OC software, just drivers) benchmark/test programs, and a few games to see if the stuttering is still there. I have tested on fresh XP installs twice now.

I have been doing a lot of testing on the computer and it seems that Windows XP will also stutter a bit while I am navigating through it, it is just over faster then in games and only the mouse or windows are moving so its much harder to notice. I am really thinking PSU, MoBo, or CPU problems at this point. Which sucks because I just moved and don't have access to a lot of extra parts for testing.

I think I found out what the problem was:

18Amps on the 12V rail on the PSU, not good. The stutters were probably occuring when the system had to render graphics hard, use the HD's and CD/DVD ROM drive at the same time. Which might explain why it passed benchmarks. I'll find out for sure in a few days when my new PSU gets here, but I'm pretty sure from reading some specs that the current PSU is too weak.

• 1 year later...
I think I found out what the problem was:

18Amps on the 12V rail on the PSU, not good. The stutters were probably occuring when the system had to render graphics hard, use the HD's and CD/DVD ROM drive at the same time. Which might explain why it passed benchmarks. I'll find out for sure in a few days when my new PSU gets here, but I'm pretty sure from reading some specs that the current PSU is too weak.

Did you solve the problem? I'm asking because I have very similar problem. Neither of components is faulty, but I also have stuttering in various games.

Archived