Corsair Community

Where's the prob???

piano_man_06

Okay, I'm getting kind of frustrated. :(:

Recently I decided to add 1g of memory to my comp. previously I had 1 generic 512stick. I decided to go with the VS 2x512 package from tigerdirect.com to take advantage of dual channel capabilities. When I got my ram I installed it into the two slots that are grouped together and place the generic on in the third empty one. Booting up, my pc ran through the preliminary memory testing in the bios splash screen and showed the the dual channel was enabled. I had all the memory timing/clocks on auto in my bios.

my comp ran nice and smooth and I was able to turn the video settings up in world of warcraft and play some of the new windows media high-def video that microsoft released. However, after about and hour or two my computer reboots itself. I havent been able to use my computer for over two hours ever since I got my ram. sometimes it would reboot as soon as I logged into windows, before I even began to play a game (I found that it most often rebooted while playing a game, or viewing HD video). So, I began my quest to fix the problems, after visiting forums on many sites I came up with a list of problems this could be, but have never isolated the one that causes these reboots. heres my list:

1-Temperature- if it reboots after about an hour, overheating could be to blame

2-Power- Perhaps the additional ram put added to much stress on my power supply, however 500w its generally enough I thought

3-BIOS stuf- I played with the timings and the FSB of everything, I had yet to be able to find a stable combination of the two, I tried matching the FSB of my processor and the memory (supposedly my AthlonXP 2700+ likes to have ram at 333mhz, I read that somewhere, didnt work though)

4-Evil Generic ram messing up stuf- nope, I tried using just the generic ram and it was fine, I tried using just one VS stick and it was fine, I tried swapping the ram to different slots and using different combos with all three and nothing works. It seemed to go unstable whenever I used two or more (could be wrong about that though, havent tested all combos)

5-Evil VS ram- the mobo I use should be compatible with this ram and I ran memtest for 12+hrs and no errors popped up.

I guess I just dont know what to do, is it possible to return my VS ram and buy a set one step up from it? I dont think I should have to do that but if it would solve the problem I wouldnt hesitate...

Please help me, ask me any questions, the post is big and I may have left something out... :confused:

Evil Generic ram messing up stuf- nope, I tried using just the generic ram and it was fine, I tried using just one VS stick and it was fine, I tried swapping the ram to different slots and using different combos with all three and nothing works. It seemed to go unstable whenever I used two or more (could be wrong about that though, havent tested all combos)

Don't mix different brands of RAM.

If you want to go Corsair, then go Corsair.

Either RAM isn't bad, they're just bad together.

Pick one brand and stick with it.................................. ;):

Correct, 2700+ has a 333 Mhz FSB and as such needs the memory @ that speed as well.

Test just the 2 VS sticks by themselves. if it's stable, it's an incompatibility issue with them and the generic memory. If not, try one stick at a time.

Archived