Corsair Community

4 GB RAM in an A8N-SLI Deluxe?

darthbubba

Later this summer, I'm expecting to get a settlement check for a car wreck last Christmas that broke my neck. In anticipation, I've started putting specs together on an SLI system I've nicknamed 'Spaceball One'.

("Prepare for lightspeed!"

"No, no, no, lightspeed is too slow. Prepare for...LUDICROUS speed!")

Anyway, I'm gonna use the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe for my motherboard, and was planning on using two matched pairs of Corsair XMS RAM, probably 2 of the TWINX2048-3200C2PT sets, because I want to max out the system memory at 4 GB.

All the specs I've found so far though, suggest that I won't be able to do this. So I've come to the guru (ramguy) seeking clarification and enlightenment. :biggrin:

Full specs for Spaceball One are shared on my NewEgg wish list

Why 4 GB? Bigger isn't always better when maxing out the memory controller.

While Lightscribe is cool, might also want to pick up a Dual Layer DVD RW drive. Got one about a month or so ago, $50 bucks at newegg :0

Why 4 GB? Bigger isn't always better when maxing out the memory controller.

While Lightscribe is cool, might also want to pick up a Dual Layer DVD RW drive. Got one about a month or so ago, $50 bucks at newegg :0

Actually, that drive handles dual layer DVD media in addition to being Lightscribe-capable. My roommate has an HP DVD640i drive that is very similar to this one, but the DW-1625 was cheaper.

And regarding 4 GB...why not? The keyword for this system is ludicrous...on everything! :biggrin:

Didn't see that DL 2.4 there. Here's what I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129161

DL +/- R: 6x :)

Why not 4 GB? Mainly because the OS won't use all of it in most normal apps, and the CPU may have to downclock it to 333 Mhz (don't know squat about the X2 cores). All of the Athlon 64 cores have to do that with 4 sticks, with the exception of the Venice cores. You'd be better off with just one TwinX2048-3200C2 pack.

Archived