Corsair Community

Memory Upgrade??

bmw_owner

Hey everyone,

I am asking this question for a friend of mine who is getting a pc,but doesn't have it yet. He got it from a local retail giant and wants to upgrade the memory from the installed 512mb to 1gb. Since he doesn't exactly know what brand of memory is already installed,should he just install 2 new 512 mb modules? Money is kind of tight and he has been looking at the Value select modules and think that this may be the route he wants to go. All I know is that the Motherboard is an Asus K8S-LA. Thanks in advance for all replies. ;):

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 GHz (Socket 754)

Chipset: SiS 760/964

Motherboard Manufacturer: Asus

Motherboard Name: K8S-LA

HP motherboard name: Salmon-GL6E

Memory Installed: 512 MB (1 x 512)

Maximum allowed: 2.0 GB (2 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMM

Speed supported: PC3200 MB/sec

Based on that, get System Select memory if you want to ADD memory to the system. Get Value Select if you want to REPLACE the memory in the system.

Note: It is not a dual channel PC. However, with the new chipsets, it's still needed to get matched pairs to ensure compatibility. System Select memory is the exception to that, as it's meant to be used with OEM memory.

Based on that, get System Select memory if you want to ADD memory to the system. Get Value Select if you want to REPLACE the memory in the system.

Note: It is not a dual channel PC. However, with the new chipsets, it's still needed to get matched pairs to ensure compatibility. System Select memory is the exception to that, as it's meant to be used with OEM memory.

Thanks wired! :D: I'll let him know that he can add another 512 with the system select and replace both with the value select. ;):If he replcaes both with the value select,will any pc3200 400 work?

Thanks wired! :D: I'll let him know that he can add another 512 with the system select and replace both with the value select.
May want to wait for an official response, but that's how I think it works anyway. 99% sure.

If he replaces both with the value select,will any pc3200 400 work?
??? Do you mean any version of the Value Select? Yes. Best to get a VS Kit.

May want to wait for an official response, but that's how I think it works anyway. 99% sure.

??? Do you mean any version of the Value Select? Yes. Best to get a VS Kit.

I got a call from him telling me that he is at a Electonic store that has the 1GB value select kit for $100.00 He is going to go ahead and buy it. Mnf. Part #: VS1GBKIT40

Item #: SY-974620

Does it sound correct?

Archived