Corsair Community

7000X Updated to iCUE Link

The system key specs :
- AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
- MSI MEG X670e Ace
- RTX 3090 FE
- 128GB Corsair Dominator DDR5
- Corsair 7000 Series case
I've been running this same basic setup for some time - first with a ThreadRipper and then with the Ryzen 9 7950. It's a custom HydroX Loop with 2 420mm Radiators configured in push/pull, for a total of 13 140mm fans and 4 120mm fans. Initially, I built it out with all QL-RGB fans and the 'classic' Corsair HydroX devices (XC7, XD5, XG7), a Commander Pro, a Commander Core ... fan hubs ... wires and cables everywhere.
As you can probably imagine, the cables were a nightmare. I did try to manage them ... somewhat ... but I'm not very good at it AND at some point, it came down to "F*** it all, just get it to close".

So when the Link system came out, I as more than intrigued and decided to swap everything out for new Link items during regular maintenance.

I also added the internal Corsair USB Hub and finally retiring the old (non-Corsair) internal USB hub that I'd used for years and finally completely eliminating all Molex power connectors.
Building with the Link system was a dream compared to what it was previously. The difference really was night and day ... it was so much easier to move things around and experiment on fit and placement when there weren't 2 wires from each fan to deal with. Even replacing a fan (RMA ... handles quickly and without fuss) after the build was completed was relatively easy - and I could even completely remove the side fans without getting into major disassembly of wires.
I'm still using the Commander Pro - to run my 6x Corsair strips and LC100 triangles, as well as to use the 4 temperature sensors on each radiator fitting.

Overall, I was very impressed with how easy it was to use the Link system. As I've been running this build for a few weeks now, I've also been impressed with how how well the fans perform, especially at very low speeds. And they are quiet under about 1200 RPM ... with the 140mm fans going up to 2000 RPM. Over 1200 RPM, they do start making some noise and have a hum at higher speeds that can be annoying. But you don't need those high speeds so it's not an issue. Having temp sensors on each fan is interesting, too, even if it is somewhat overkill. With that said, I also often put sensors in the airflow of the fan to get a reading on air temps (both intake and exhaust) so this make that unnecessary.

Some other comments on the Link system ...

Using 12V is far more efficient and easier for PSUs to handle. With all the RGB that I had going on, even the mighty AX1600 struggled to keep up with the RGB load - I'd pull over 20A on the 5V rail regularly with the fan running all the time until I got the 5V Load Balancer. But with Link being all 12V from the PCIe power connectors, that's not an issue at all.

The right angle cables are very, very useful. IMHO, they should be the default cables that they come with.

I'd love to see support for "Legacy" RGB products - at least strips. Perhaps fans, too ... except the old style Fan Hub was discontinued. Certainly, this is possible as that's what the XG7 Link adapter does.

The 4 port "splitter" shouldn't be called a splitter. It would more appropriately be called a hub, IMHO.

They really need to have a coupler for cables.

Having a power cable available that goes directly from a Corsair PSUs PCIe output to 2 (or maybe 3?) Link devices would make cable management even better.

20231217_124304-sized.jpg

20231217_125703 Sized.jpg

20231217_132322 - sized.jpg

20231217_123014 - sized.jpg