Corsair Community

Response from TS on Bad? TWINX1024-3200XLPRO modules

I submitted a report of problems with a pair of TWINX-1024-3200XLPRO to ramguy@corsairmemory.com as directed in this forum. The answer I got first directed me to change jumpers on MB to an incorrect position and then to update a BIOS to one that had nothing new for my config. The rest of the instructions appeared to be given as though my original report had not been read very carefully making me skeptical about the remaining info in my response from TS.

Is there a way to have a different tech read my report and give me suggestions which actually fit the problem being reported? Do I just re-submit the same report and hope for a better reply? Or do I post my original report to this forum?

No reference number was assigned to my reply from TS.

Please help! and....THANKS!!

mcubed!

Let's try option # 3, posting here :)

What CPU / FSB / Motherboard do you have?

Click here to add your system specs to your profile and posts!

What type of problems are you having?

Did you test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+?

Are you mixing the TwinX pack with any other memory?

Just as a reference:

Timings for TwinX1024-3200XL

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2

Row Precharge (tRP): 2

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5

Memory Voltage; 2.75 volts

All other settings to defaults.

Thanks for your reply!

I posted my system specs to the user CP as reference.

Total system crashes is the problem. When I first installed these new modules in DIMM 2 & 3, system became unstable but I attributed that to the SB Audigy sound card I also installed (and tried in every PCI slot...). I ended up reformatting and system became mostly stable w/o the sound card (using onboard sound for now). Lately the system is back to fairly unstable again for no reason I can think of.

I have a pair of TWINX512-3200LLPT (my old modules)- installed them and system is totally stable.

I ran memtest86 v3.2 on the TWINX1024-3200XLPRO over 14 passes with 7 errors; single sticks in DIMM 1 similar tests with errors. Memtest on my TWINX512 pair shows NO errors.

Timing for the TWINX1024 is 5-2-2-2T, installed as "plug and frag" as advertised.

I have not updated BIOS as none of the later revs address my config - and system is stable with the 512 pair and this BIOS

BIOS:Rev 1008

BIOS Info:

Memory 1024 M

CPU External freq (200MHz)

CPU Freq multiple settin (Auto)

CPU Freq multip (11.0 x)

System performance (optimal)

CPU interface (optimal)

Memory freq (by SPD)

Resulting freq 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory timing (optimal)

SDRAM active precharge delay 5

SDRAM RAS to CAS 2

SDRAM RAS precharge delay 2

SDRAM CAS latency 2T

FSB Spread spectrum (0.50%)

AGP Spread spectrum (disabled)

CPU VCore setting (auto)

CPU VCore (1.650V)

Graphics aperture size (64MB)

AGP freq (auto)

System BIOS cacheable (disabled)

Video RAM cacheable (disabled)

DDR reference voltage (2.6V)

AGP VDDQ voltage (1.5V)

AGP 8X suppport (enabled)

AGP fast write capability (enabled)

I really appreciate whatever suggestions you might offer - I thought I'd be in "trying to solve the memory mystery hell" over the holiday weekend....

THANK YOU!!!

mcubed!

DDR reference voltage (2.6V)

AGP VDDQ voltage (1.5V)

Bump up the DDR voltage, 2.7 or 2.8 (Warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts)

May want to bump up the AGP voltage to 1.6v, may help, may not.

Last resort:

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

THANKS!

I'll give that a try to see if it makes a difference....and re-run Memtest overnight.

I sure would have to hate to resort to different timings than I thought I was getting...sigh...

In the end, I may yet pursue getting a perfect pair (of TWINX....that is)...

Wired!!

THANKS very much for your suggestions. Using DDR voltage at 2.8v and AGP vDDQ at 1.6v I had NO ERRORS over 21 passes overnight!

I might even be brave enough to try my expensive sound card again (which has been packed into the box to sell on eBay). It's the Audigy2 Pro and I paid $180 when it first came out. I know they go for much less now, and it's still here because I couldn't accept the fact that I'm the only one who can't install and run this still top rated card! Do you have any suggestions on best way to proceed? I know Creative packs an awful lot of invasive junk in on the install CD (which was one of the reasons I reformatted). There's got to be a "cleaner" way to install this card. The SB forums were no help at the time.

AGAIN, thanks for your help on the memory!! I wish I had a "cold beer" icon to send you. Happy 4th!

mcubed!

No problemo! I don't drink, but thanks for the offer.

Dunno about the SB card, my last one was a Live! Value. Stopped using it when onboard sound cards got halfway decent. Can't stand how they have their drivers currently. IIRC, there were some hacked drivers about, can't recall seeing them in recent memory though.

• Corsair Employee
I believe the TS person that replied to your email suggested the same response as Wired has given you; do not know exactly what went wrong with it, but that reply was our standard procedure!

Archived