Corsair Community

So I made a mistake buying Twinx2048-3200C2?

My intentions are to overclock in about 6 months after I build my new system. Bought a AMD 3700 San Diego as I read it's a good overclocker. I admit though that I'm not too knowledgable in this sort of stuff and didn't think RAM would actually play an important role in overclocking my CPU. Anyway, I bought the above from Newegg as I thought my previous 512mb sticks were solid and I trust the brand. But now I'm hearing that overclocking will not work out that well for me because of the RAM I bought. Will this be the case?

The 3200C2s aren't known to be the best overclockers or anything. The most they may be able to do is like around 230 Mhz. The XLs on the other hand have been known to do 275 Mhz+, although of course OCing speeds aren't guaranteed. For a guaranteed mem speed, you're best off with the 4400C25s.

Andy:

I have the same combination of MB, CPU and memory that you are talking about. I've been very pleased with the performance. I found that with my setup I could run the memory at 2-3-3-6 1T. It seems that for my system at least, the new memory controller on the San Diego core allows both CAS2 and 1T setting on my board. I took RamGuy's suggestion and changed the memory voltage to 2.7 volts.

I did not buy my new system with the intention of overclocking. For kicks though I let nTune do it's automatic "tuning" and the result was that with these settings CPU-Z shows that the core speed is 2332.4 MHz (2200 MHz is stock) which is a minor OC. I manually set HTT at 212. Memtest86+ ran fine with no errors for 16 hours and Prime95 ran fine for 5 hours. The system has been perfectly stable. YMMV

As an aside, on Friday I first noticed that MBM5 was showing the voltage to my CPU was running 1.47-1.49 volts. Before running nTune it had been running 1.39-1.40 volts with the auto settings. The CPU voltage setting in BIOS was the default value (auto). I manually changed the voltage to 1.40 volts and after running Prime95 for 30 minutes there were not problems. I continued down to 1.375 volts with the same results. I ran out of time to go any lower and my system has been running fine with the manually reduced voltage setting from the auto settings.

I am not running any of the AMD/ASUS features that throttle down the CPU at periods of lesser CPU activity. The benefits are a reduction in voltage load off my UPS and a cooler CPU at both no load and at load (Prime95). Temps dropped 3 degrees at load from 42 to 39 degrees Celsius and dropped one degree at no load from 35 to 34 degrees Celsius.

Sorry for rambling. I hope you enjoy your new system. The 2 GB of memory are really nice to have. I've only hit the XP swap file once that I know of.

Andy:

I have the same combination of MB, CPU and memory that you are talking about. I've been very pleased with the performance. I found that with my setup I could run the memory at 2-3-3-6 1T. It seems that for my system at least, the new memory controller on the San Diego core allows both CAS2 and 1T setting on my board. I took RamGuy's suggestion and changed the memory voltage to 2.7 volts.

I did not buy my new system with the intention of overclocking. For kicks though I let nTune do it's automatic "tuning" and the result was that with these settings CPU-Z shows that the core speed is 2332.4 MHz (2200 MHz is stock) which is a minor OC. I manually set HTT at 212. Memtest86+ ran fine with no errors for 16 hours and Prime95 ran fine for 5 hours. The system has been perfectly stable. YMMV

As an aside, on Friday I first noticed that MBM5 was showing the voltage to my CPU was running 1.47-1.49 volts. Before running nTune it had been running 1.39-1.40 volts with the auto settings. The CPU voltage setting in BIOS was the default value (auto). I manually changed the voltage to 1.40 volts and after running Prime95 for 30 minutes there were not problems. I continued down to 1.375 volts with the same results. I ran out of time to go any lower and my system has been running fine with the manually reduced voltage setting from the auto settings.

I am not running any of the AMD/ASUS features that throttle down the CPU at periods of lesser CPU activity. The benefits are a reduction in voltage load off my UPS and a cooler CPU at both no load and at load (Prime95). Temps dropped 3 degrees at load from 42 to 39 degrees Celsius and dropped one degree at no load from 35 to 34 degrees Celsius.

Sorry for rambling. I hope you enjoy your new system. The 2 GB of memory are really nice to have. I've only hit the XP swap file once that I know of.

thanks for the reassurance and the info dlewis. I'll be copying it into a txt file for later use :)

Archived