Corsair Community

Bad TWINX1024-4000PT Modules

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have an MSI neo2 platinum with an AMD 64 3700+ San Diego which is 2.2 gig (with a 200 FSB). I tested the RAM at a 250FSB with the CPU multiplier down to 5, and the HTT multiplier down to 3 (giving a cpu clock of 1.25gig and an HTT clock of 750, both well under the stock values).

I have tested the modules individually and together at Cas 3 3 3 8 and 2.7v and they pass memtest at DDR400 (this is not suprising since I can run them 24/7 at 200MHZ). However, I also tested them in a P4 setup with an Asus P5P800 board, which allows me to leave the CPU at stock speed and bus and up the memory bus itself to DDR500 and the memory fails memtest in test 5 just like it does in my AMD setup. I have also been able to run TWINX2048-3200C2PT modules on my board on a 225 memory bus without any errors, whereas my TWINX1024-4000PT modules fail at the exact same settings. I have done extensive testing with my CPU and motherboard and can run Prime95 for days at my current settings of 10x270FSB and 133 memory divider, however if I change to the 166 memory divider giving me only a 225MHZ memory clock I either cannot boot or will BSOD (these are the settings I tested the TWINX2048-3200C2PT on and they passed). I find this a bit disturbing since my memory is supposed to run at 250MHZ and will not do any higher than 200MHZ, whereas the DDR400 1gig sticks will run at 225MHZ.

• Corsair Employees
I have no problem replacing the modules, but if they will run and pass at Cass 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 then I doubt its the modules. In addition XMS4000 will not run at Cass 2 or 2.5 so if you try to set them at the same settings and our Cass 2 modules they will indeed fail.

Sorry about that last part being a bit misleading. When I said I ran them at the same settings as the TWINX2048 modules, I meant same CPU and Memory bus settings, not the same CAS settings. For every test I run with my TWINX1024 modules I set them to CAS 3 4 4 8 with 2.75v, whereas I ran the TWINX2048 modules at CAS 2.5 3 3 6 with 2.75v. If the modules are supposed to support DDR500 and they will not run at 250MHZ (even on the P4 board where every bios setting was defaulted and the memory bus alone was set to DDR500), I'm not sure how this would mean that the modules are functioning as they should. I would like to RMA the modules for a working pair of DDR500 modules, however, if I am going to RMA these modules only to have them tested at DDR400 and then returned to me I am not going to waste the money required to send them back. If you would like I will run a test with working DDR500 modules on my board in the exact same setup and let you know those results.

• Corsair Employees
No all of our modules are tested in a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory, you can follow the link in my signature for the correct settings and see the MB we use and the bios settings used. However, my point is the MB and CPU you stated I am sure will not run at the tested settings CPU @ 250 MHz 1-1 with the memory. And most P4 systems will not over clock that high as well. We use Intel 2.4C CPU's and about 20% we get will not OC that high and only about the top 10-20% that will run at 250 MHz will run at 275 MHz we use to test our XMS4400 modules. So as a way to see if the issue may be some other problem, I suggested testing them at DDR400 at Cass 3-3-3-8 with out stressing your CPU. If you have a failing module it will fail no matter what frequency you run them at usually on test 4 of http://www.memtest.org. With all of that said, I also stated that I would have no problem replacing the modules, but with what you have posted the issue may not be the memory.

Archived