Corsair Community

Definitely Bad... won't get past RAMTest.

Frog me, but I have a bad RAM module.

The module's a Corsair CMX512-3200XLPT, model number XMS3208v1.2, serial number 0502063-8. The motherboard's a Asus A7N8X, recognizes the module (in the very few times I'm able to get into the BIOS) as 3-3-3-8.

Normally, this module is also installed with a TwinX cousin (2x512), but shortly after a LAN party, and on a Sunday when I was testing a HDTV, the system started to lock up after its memory test. Sometimes, reseating the modules helped, but only for a short period of time. I had to give up after a while. :(:

I took the system home (problem still exists), and decided to remove all the memory and try them out one at a time. Only this module got flagged as problematic; the others exhibited no problems so far.

What do you have the Dim Voltage and have you removed the TV card or what ever it was?

Nothing has been played with; the voltage settings are stock. No TV card, either; just motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, hard drive.

I did change the CAS setting to 3-3-3-8 because this module, at first, was fighting it out with the TwinX pair (I bought the TwinX months ago, to expand my system to 1.5 GB). Normally, the settings on all three modules are CAS 2; It says only CAS 2 on the TwinX set, but 2-2-2-5 on the defective one.

I thought at the time that there was some "mismatch" going on, since they tested well by themselves.

Now only the TwinX set works, either by itself or in pairs. The CMX512, however, doesn't work at all after its BIOS memory test; when I do get past it (an uncommon event), it locks up the system after a minute.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry; I don’t understand your post! Please be a little clearer.

Are you trying to mix PC-3700 and PC-3200 modules in the same system? And if you change from one to the other you may need to reset the bios and load setup defaults each time you change the hardware. Please tell me all of our/the modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label)

I am sorry; I don’t understand your post! Please be a little clearer.

Are you trying to mix PC-3700 and PC-3200 modules in the same system? And if you change from one to the other you may need to reset the bios and load setup defaults each time you change the hardware. Please tell me all of our/the modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label)

Okay, let me put it this way:

My memory module, CMX512-3200XLPT, when installed by itself, will not allow POSTing past the BIOS memory test. Defaults are used, in the rare cases I can get into BIOS setup.

Installing different memory, in the same slot, same speed, same size, same CAS, works perfectly.

Can you help me out, please?

• Corsair Employees
Please try and reset the bios with the CLRTC jumper. If it still will not post then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived