Corsair Community

TWINX1024-4400C25PT errors, cant achieve rated specs.

zeal

had a quick read and have seen serveral other threads with the same problem.

im trying to run a twinx matched pair of 4400C25PT's on my shuttle sn25p.

im currently running an fx-55, fsb @ 260 x10, HTx3, spd auto timmings (but have tried manual) 2.5-4-4-8 @ 1T (tried 2T too) with 2.8v (tried increasing up to 3.0v).

i receive instant to within 5 mins errors in prime95 with blended or large fft's tests (does also crash games after a while and produce stop errors randomly, even when left on overnight doing nothing). i've yet to try memtest at the momment, but will be doing asap.

they run error free at ddr400 with the default 200x13. they also run fine with a divider at higher fsb speeds, all the way up to when i tried 280 x10. this leads me to beleive my poor results at overclocking is ram limited, not mb/cpu

i have tried using one at a time too, with same results. 2t still produces errors, but just takes a little longer. i have also noticed they do run hotter than a pair of xms3200XLPRO's i have in another computer.

any advice to offer other than send them back for a replacement via retailer?

been at this for several weeks (also due to a previous error this shuttle model suffers from) now and just about given up before i take a holiday to get away from this headache :(:

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your MB and set the following BIOS settings;

DRAM Configuration :

Max Memclock: Limit or 200

1T/2T Memory Timing : 2T

CAS# latency (Tlc): 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras): 8

Row precharge Time (Trp): 4

HT Frequency : 4x

Cool’n’Quiet: Disable

Adjust CPU Rotation: Startup

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 200

Adjust CPU VID 1.550v

CPU Voltage: 104%

Memory Voltage : 2.8/2.85 Volts

Chipset Voltage: 1.60/1.7V

All other settings should be left to MB default settings.

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

ok, i've run memtest. as i've found before, it seems totaly ineffective at producing memory realted errors. (i experienced such a problem with the known XXXXXXX ram + nf2 incompatibility)

i ran memtest for 2-4 passes with the following settings.

each one seperatly then both together - fsb 200 x13, ht x4, 2.5-4-4-8, ram voltage 2.8, 2T command rate

each one seperatly then both together - fsb 200 x13, ht x4, 2.5-4-4-8, ram voltage 2.8, 1T command rate

each one seperatly then both together - fsb 275 x10, ht x3, 2.5-4-4-8, ram voltage 2.8, 2T command rate

each one seperatly then both together - fsb 275 x10, ht x3, 2.5-4-4-8, ram voltage 2.8, 1T command rate

all passed multiple times, no errors.

i then ran prime95 using the last settings, and as per usual, instant errors. its not the cpu oc, as lowering the memory frequency with a divider closer to ddr400 gets rid of the errors. also had a wonderful stop error after finished the prime95 test run :sigh!:

any more ideas? :confused: :(:

• Corsair Employees
If memtest86 found no problems or errors on the memory, then I will suggest you to look at other hardware/peripherals installed on your system. I do not think the problem is coming from the memory modules!

problem is, it only happens when rasing the memory frequency. so it has to an incompatability between the memory and the motherboard, which would be good to bring to light.

ill be testing it out on a friends dfi nf4 ultra-d board on saturday, and will see what resutls i get, if it works fine on there, then its clearly shuttles problem. if not then ill be looking to corssair for a reason it wont work on some major nf4 mobo's and maybe a possible work around. if that fails, i think ill get another pair of pc3200xl, as clearly ddr400 is working fine and id woudl rather the lower latencies at that speed.

edit: ok i take back most of that, thanks for your time, clearly its something else.

welll, i havnt actually found the problem sadly.. but ill quote what i just posted in one of the numerous sn25p problem topics on the sfftech forums.

"well from day one of changing the cables, the drives vanishing on from bios issue went, but i've had stability issues still. they original seemed to stem from ram, but after eliminating the ram, continued to get prime95 errors and stop errors at random times. on one boot up, i received the messsage "disk read error, please reboot" or something similar, for the first time.

i shortly after updated the bios to latest, i was greeted with a memory access violation from speedfan on start up, since which, the hdd fan is no longer detecting a speed. (they are still working)

sigh.. i cant wait to go on holiday on tuesday get away from this headache."

this thing is plauged with problems right now, and so has every nf4 board i've had the "pleasure" of working on. really disliking this chip, i already had little faith in nvidia products.

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the following BIOS settings;

DRAM Configuration :

CPU Freq: 200 Mhz

Max Memclock: Limit or 200/400DDR

1T/2T Memory Timing : 2T

CAS# latency (Tlc): 2.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 3

Min RAS# active time (Tras): 11

Row precharge Time (Trp): 2

HT Frequency : 4x

Cool’n’Quiet: Disable

Adjust CPU Rotation: Startup

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 200

Adjust CPU VID 1.550v

CPU Voltage: 104%

Memory Voltage : 2.8/2.85 Volts

Chipset Voltage: 1.60/1.7V

All other settings should be left to MB default settings.

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

erm.. i dont understand the point of your post, already said the ram is fine in memtest, and the those test settings for ram timmings you've given are incorrect :S

you can close / delete this topic as its not much help to anyone, and its been proven the ram is fine.

• Corsair Employees
The settings I gave you will work with these modules if your system will not over clock to the tested settings of XMS4400C25 you can try these with a lower CPU Frequency to get more performance out of the system. But you are welcome to try any you like.

ah, sorry i didnt know what you hoped i would acheive with those settings.

i tried those timing at ddr400, and presto, no more errors. now considering they wouldnt run stable @ ddr400 with the 2.5-4-4-8 settings, and tras is the only timing loosened, could you offer any reason for this? :S

i just tried 2-3-2-8 and it was fine also, so it doesnt seem to be the tras alone. then i tried 2-4-4-8, and it was fine too. so it seems 2.5 was causing problems? :S

ill be trying at dd550 shortly, and will let you know how i get on.

reading back over previous posts, i forgot to edit and say, that drr400 with the spd settings was causing errors in prime95 too and my findings were incorrect, so thats why i took back what i said.

i ill do some further testing overnight when i can, as these have only been tested for a few hours each, but i have little time anymore as im going away on tuesday.

update:

ok, i couldnt get past the post screen with cas2 @ ddr550, the usual "please re-setting the cpu frequency" message, which i've received randomly when using cas2.5, but it vanishes when using cas3, booted up, been running prime95 for a while, not a single error. tried going back to cas2.5, errors. back to cas3, no errors. well theres my problems solved it seems, but would be nice to know why for something rated at cas2.5, it cant run it when in windows? i dont mind the 0.5 change if theres no fix, i just would like a possible explanation.

this is also with 1t command rate now, 2.8 vdimm, x3 ht (am about to try out x4)

• Corsair Employees
You will have to lower the multiplier of your CPU, you can not run your CPU at stock/default multiplier if the CPU fan that you are using is not powerful enough to support the new speed.

Archived