Corsair Community

Asus P5LD2 and x16 memory chips

sharrowm

I just received my Asus P5LD2 motherboard along with my Corsair 1gb valueselect (VS1GBKIT533D2) memory. After reading the Asus user guide I ran across this statement:

"This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules".

this memory is double sided with 8 chips on each side (16 total). Does this mean it is not compatable (I haven't installed them yet)?

TIA, Marc.

It does NOT mean how many total physical IC's (memory chips) are on the module, don't worry about that, but it's an organization scheme.

You might want to read RAM Module Basics... you might want to read the whole thing, but this is the relevant part.

FYI, you can also have x32 and x64 and so on (I don't know all of the possibilities). For instance, the VS1GB400C3 (1GB Value Select DDR module) is a 128M x 64.

PLUR

CK

It does NOT mean how many total physical IC's (memory chips) are on the module, don't worry about that, but it's an organization scheme.

You might want to read RAM Module Basics... you might want to read the whole thing, but this is the relevant part.

FYI, you can also have x32 and x64 and so on (I don't know all of the possibilities). For instance, the VS1GB400C3 (1GB Value Select DDR module) is a 128M x 64.

PLUR

CK

OK, I get it now. Thank you.

Archived