Corsair Community

Cmx256a-2700c2

Pat M

1800 XP Aopen AK77-8xn Win 98SE Maxtor 30 gig hard drive 256 CMX256A-2700C2 Corsair I originally built my computer with 256 megs of 2700C2 RAM, and I recently tried to add an additional stick of memory (256 megs 2700C2) to my system (there's 3 memory slots on my mother board - original stick mounted in slot facing center of mother board - new stick mounted in middle slot). When I booted up I got various error and illegal operation messages, and I couldn't get my programs to run. I took the stick out and the computer ran fine. I tried this twice... same result. Am I doing something wrong, or is my new memory defective?

• Corsair Employees
I would try setting the memory timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and you should stagger the modules, one in slot 1 and one in slot 3. Then you can test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to make sure its stable so you don't corrupt your O.S

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I swapped out the old 256 module for the new 256 to see what would happen, and I got the same error and illegal operation messages as when I tried to run the two sticks together. So that tells me that my new module is bad from the factory, and I'll have to send it back and get it exchanged for one that works. You suggested that I go to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 for my timings (stock = 2-3-3-6-T1)... it would be dissapointing to have to slow my memory down if I wanted to run 512megs instead of 256 - am I missing something here? You also suggested that I stagger the modules - slots 1 and 3 - what is the theory behind that (I'm a newbie). Thanks again for your help.

• Corsair Employees
Only single modules are rated at Cass 2-3-3-7 with this module. Sorry! Only our Twinx sets would be rated at the advertised speed with 2 modules. There is more loading with more memory and some chipsets do better than others. But there is just no way that we can guarantee that every MB will run the same. Other wise the suggested settings for 2 single XMS2700C2 modules would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7.

Thanks once again for your help. I had no idea that one had to use slower timings when doubling up certain models of memory. I'm wondering if in the real world having more memory with slower timings would be better than less memory with faster timings... care to comment?

• Corsair Employees
It really depends on the chipset and platform and if you are over clocking. But with single channel chipsets less is better. And in your case the MB I think is dual channel (Nforce2) so the performance gain you get from dual channel is whorth the slight loss due to slower settings.

Well, I'm stuck with the new memory module (I sent it back for replacement, and should be getting a new one in a week or so) so I might as well use it. I've got the VIA KT400 chipset in my MB, and I'm guessing it's robust enough to run at the single module timings even with twin modules - I'm going to give it a shot, anyway. Do I still want to run my modules staggered (slots 1 and 3) like you suggested previously? Thanks for your help, and I'll give you a holler if I have anymore problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, in case anyones's interested, I got my replacement RAM the other day, I installed it and everythings running great at single module timings. I have noticed an increase in computer speed with the new RAM, so I'm glad I went to the trouble to add it to my system. I am, however, dissapointed with Corsair's lack of quality control. I know %#*& happens, but I purposely payed top dollar for the XMS series so that I supposedly wouldn't have to mess around with DOA RAM modules, yet I got a bad module, and it cost me money out of my pocket in order to return it and get a replacement. This shouldn't be.

Archived