Corsair Community

Screen Blacks In & Out... Please Help!

tlms13

Hi RAM people, please help....

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, 1GB (2x512) TwinX1024-3200C2Pro RAM, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ set at 400MHz bus. I used to run a single module of 512MB CXM5120C2 and never ever had any problems, I then decided to go dual-channel by purchasing the memory above, now my computer blacks in and out and sometimes crashes and gives me a blue screen. I have Windows XP Pro SP2. It's been happening quite often lately. Sometimes I could be surfing the net or playing a game or whatever, the mouse cursor freezes for about a second or two and then the screen blacks out for about a half second and comes back on again. I tried contacting support but no one was there, a voice message came up for user 221. Sometimes my computer crashes and this is what it says on the blue screen.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (seems like an IRQ problem but I never had this problem before! Until I switch to TwinX1024-3200C2Pro)

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000006, 0x0000001, 0xF2147375)

*** nvarm.sys - Address F2147375 base at F2147000, DateStamp 40b3cf78

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I tried disable the caching and shadowing but it also did not help. Please help.....

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the jumpers set at 2-3 and not the default 1-2 for the CPU FSB and the modules installed on DIMM slots 2&3 (if one module then DIMM 1); make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, load Setup/Optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: Optimal if Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200/9600/9800) or NVIDIA (5200/5700/6600/6800) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 3 weeks later...
Please make sure that you have the jumpers set at 2-3 and not the default 1-2 for the CPU FSB and the modules installed on DIMM slots 2&3 (if one module then DIMM 1); make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB

I actually tried this and my system would freeze up just after it enumerated the amount of RAM during POST -- I think for A7N8X boards w/ pcb revs 1.4/1.6, which can do 400MHz FSB w/ bios rev 1004 and higher, it is best to keep it on jumpers 1 & 2 is it not?

Regardless, I'm experiencing the same thing as the previous poster, except that I'm on my second set of modules (RMAed the first pair)! When i get the time I will test each module individually (again). All I know is, I get nothing but system instability (video glitching, my USB mouse just dropped out) once I throw these XMS Pro sticks in my system. The module they're replacing, a PC2700 512MB Samsung, has had no issues whatsoever. I just don't get it.

Archived