Corsair Community

CORSAIR TWINX 1024 3200LLPT and DFI Lanparty NFII ULTRA

cptsnoopy

Hi RamGuy, Just wondering what I should expect from this memory using this motherboard? When I first purchased the setup, I tried running the FSB up to 200 but was locking up on boot. When I ran the FSB at 166 all was well. Until a couple of days ago I was too busy to mess with it. I looked into the suggested timings and tried again. Now I can get it to boot into win2Kpro at 2-3-3-6 @200 FSB but it locks up now and then. When I try 2-3-2-6 as advertised, the computer locks up at boot. I have tried upping the vdimm to 2.8v with no change in behavior. I have tried various multiplier settings but no better. I have read posts on amdforums that indicate there may be a compatibility issue with DFI's Lanparty NFII ULTRA... Have you guys found this to be true? Is the memory your selling as twinX now any different from August 2003? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. Sincerely, cptsnoopy rig: WIN2KPRO SP4 DFI Lanparty NFII ULTRA (rev. A) AMD 2500+ (BARTON) CORSAIR TWINX 1024 3200C2PT (dual channel mode) WD 1200JBRTL on primary as boot drive WD 0800JBRTL X2 on HPT as RAID 0 TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402 (on secondary IDE as master) LITE-ON LTR-52327S (on secondary IDE as slave) ATI RADEON 9500PRO agp ANTEC PERFORMANCE II 835 with 350watt PS LOGITEC CORDLESS FREEDOM PRO keyboard and mouse SAMSUNG 151B and 955DF monitors

• Corsair Employees
With the CPU you have you should run the memory Freq so it's in sync with your CPU. If you try to run the CPU at 166 MHz and the memory at DDR400 it may cause a bottleneck in the CPU and generate errors that are not the fault of the memory. Or if when you tried to run 200 MHz you did not set the memory at 100% it would have run the memory at DDR500 if you did not watch the bios setting for the memory Freq. Or if you did not lower the multiplier when you set the CPU Freq to 200 you would have been running your 2500+ at 3200+ speeds. So it would really help to know what the exact settings were that you had set..

My bad... when I first tried upping the FSB I did not know about the ratio. this time I did set the ratio to 1:1 so that the cpu and memory were running the same speed. when I did that the memory speed went from 200 to 166. then I upped the FSB to 200 and the memory showed 200 as well. computer would not boot into windows without error until I set the memory settings from aggressive to expert and set the timing to 2,3,3,6. I started this testing at a multiplier of 7.5 to try matching the original speed. This seemed to work ok at the time. I tried upping the FSB to 205 at these settings and the computer would boot into windows but fail while running 3dmark2k1. I backed it off to 200 FSB and the computer made it through 3dmark2k1. Then I upped the multiplier and started getting errors at 11.5 and above. So, currently the multiplier is set to 11. No voltage increases on anything yet. however when I would play the quake3 mod UTbeta3.0. the computer would freeze anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour after starting. if I tried upping the memory timings to 2,3,2,6 the computer would not boot. I can't say for sure that it is the memory's fault or not. I am hoping that you have heard of this before and may have some knowledge with this memory/motherboard mix. the only voltage that is above default is vdimm, up from 2.7v to 2.8v. cpu temps are running at 47 under load. thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. sincerely, cptsnoopy

I would agree that would seem to be the case. what about not being able to have the FSB at 200 with 2,3,2,6 settings for the ram when the multiplier is at 7.5? is that not realistic? maybe not with this motherboard? thanks for your time, sincerely, cptsnoopy :-)

• Corsair Employees
I have no porblem replacing the modules for you but honestly from the info you gave it may not be the memory thats the casue. Do you have the ability to test the modules another system? If not, lets try replacing the modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Hi RAM GUY, I'm sure you're really busy and would appreciate veyu much if you could answer my New Thread posting on the 4th Dec '03 also to do with this LanParty NFII MB, but revision 'B'... I'm about to order my bits & would like the thumbs up on your Corsair XMSPro first? Look forward to a reply...

• Corsair Employees
First off I am sorry as your post just got over looked. Second if that should ever happen again please wait about 24 Hours excluding weekends and holidays and just bump the post so it brings it back to the top of the list. Third, the link you gave is for DFI MB Based on VIA KT400A chipset and if so it is not dual channel and I would not suggest running 2 modules with that MB. But one CMX512-3200LL or LLPro should be no problem as long as you will run the CPU at 200MHz or if not just run it at the same Freq. as your CPU and you should have no problems. You might want to consider the Nforce2 Version of their MB as it has got really good reviews as well. Like [URL=http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=2320&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB]This One[/URL] is based on Nforce 2 and should be no problem with Twinx1024-3200LL or LLPro but the same applies to the CPU Freq.

Hi RamGuy, thanks a bunch for your replies and the offer to try a different set of Twinx. My biggest fear is that your right and i am wasting your time. I only have an older ABIT KR7-RAID and I don't think it's up to the task of 200FSB. I am going to look into the possibility of it being related to the NFII chipset and if I can't find anything else to do then I will take you up on your generous offer. thanks again and happy holidays! Sincerely, cptsnoopy :):

• Corsair Employees
Well are you trying to run the memory out of sync with your CPU? Also FYI: If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR

Hi RamGuy, I think your asking why am I running the cpu above its rating of 166.5? I believe that it is common knowledge at this time that these cpu's will run fine at these speeds but are not guaranteed to do so. Not everyone will see the same over clocking ability with each cpu so it is hard to say what each one will do unless the system it is in has been tested with a known fast cpu and your only testing the cpu itself. That’s why I left the multiplier set at a low 7.5 for initial testing to see how fast the FSB could be raised. I am under the impression that the system will be most stable if the FSB and the RAM are kept in sync or at a 1:1 ratio. From posts that I have read concerning this cpu, motherboard and ram the FSB should be able to go up as high as 210 to 215 without problems. However I do not recall seeing this posted using these components together. That is why I was asking what speeds do you think I should expect. I was hoping that you might have had enough input over the last several months to have formed an opinion on this subject. I realize that there are so many different combinations of cpu/motherboard/ram out there that it may be very hard to say. The second part of the question relates to the speeds that are guaranteed for this memory. I am under the impression that it should be stable at 400DDR with memory timings of 2,3,2,6. That is what I read from the corsair website. I believe that your right about testing the ram in another computer because it may the motherboard/NFII chipset that is causing issues or the cpu as you suggested. I will have more time after Christmas to play with it and see if I can find the real bottleneck. Thanks again for your input. Happy Holidays, Sincerely, cptsnoopy :):

• Corsair Employees
I would try testing on another MB just to be sure but I really have not played with either of these MB's enough to say how high you might be able to get. But I would also try the modules one at a time and see if one is just weak or failing but if both perform or fail the same than it's probably not the memory that holding you back.

Hi RamGuy, I looked at the sticky about setting tras at around 11 to get optimal results and my testing proves it to be true for my computer. best settings for this rig turned out to be, 11,3,2,2.0 @ 11x198mhz for a memtest86 result of 1521MB/s anthing else that I tried gave lower MB/s scores. I don't know if these are good speeds or not just yet. it seemed strange to me that the advertised numbers are 6,2,3,2.0 but my rig likes 11,3,2,2.0 better. who knows? Just FYI stuff. cptsnoopy :):

Hi again RamGuy, Thanks again for your inputs. I looked at the corsair product page because I was sure it said 2,3,2,6 for either twinx 1024 3200LLPT or twinx 1024 3200C2PT. it did but the timings for the xms 512 3200C2PT was 2,3,3,6 as you stated... I will try each one at a time in this mb because I don't have another. I was just looking at the DFI website and they are working on a new bios that may help but we won't know until they put it out. cptsnoopy :):

• Corsair Employees
Well I think you're referring to [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms.html]This[/URL] and it is INCORRECT! Sorry, but I have reported this to our web team and it's in the schedule to be updated but has not been done as of yet. Twinx1024/512-3200C2 = Cass 2-3-3-6 Twinx1024/512-3200LL = Cass 2-3-2-6

Hi RamGuy, your right, that is what I was looking at. I could not figure how two single pieces rated at 2,3,3,6 could be better in dual channel. It makes since to me that it is a typo. I tried the Aida32 and will include a screen shot soon of the write and read benchmarks. cptsnoopy :):

Hi RamGuy, more FYI, DFI came out with a new bios today that fixed a known problem with the 1394 on the board causing lockups. EDIT: I thought the bios was helping to stablize my system but I was wrong. repeated prime95 tests show errors as soon as 6 minutes and as long as 2 hours after starting. back to the drawing board :sigh!:

Hi RamGuy, I had not tried prime95 with the 1394 disabled until after I read your post so I disabled the 1394 and started prime95. After an hour it was still running at approx 5:00pm yesterday when I left town for a couple of days. When I get back home on tomorrow I will let you know how the test came out. :):

Ok, made it home (Sunday). Checked the computer, prime95 says it ran 15 hours before getting an error. This is with the 1394 "disabled" seems better but I am still pushing it too hard. system still at 11x198 with timings at 11,3,2,2.0 I will change the timings to 11,3,3,2.0 and see what happens. :):

Here are the results with computer at: 11x198 11,3,3,2 [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~cptsnoopy/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/11x198_11-3-3-2small.jpg[/img] i guess img code is off. the image shows a test time of 19hours and 20minutes before getting an error. i guess I will try it at 9x198 and see how that goes... :):

Archived