Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe problems

Xenetar

Hi Ramguy - I have a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev 1.01 (bios 1013 11/12/04) w/ a AMD Athlon XP3200+ that I've had for a year and a half. I used to run your competitors valueram in my system with horrible instability, crashing, prime failures etc... I lived with it all this time by setting my mem freq down from 200mhz to 166 and keeping my cpu at 200.. Wasn't perfect by any means but liveable, but I basically had a gimped system. I finally came across some articles about ASUS putting out a compatible memory list for my motherboard that supposedly was Certified to work at DDR400 (finally). Well, I finally made the jump this week and bought 3 CMX512-3200C2's to replace my valueram and "Finally" get my gaming box running at its real designed speed.

Well, I got the chips today and installed them. SPD thought they were CAS3.0 to start.. I fixed that manually, setting them to 2.5,3,3,6 per spec. and set my mem clock speed to equal CPU FSB (200mhz)Boots fine... but nothing has changed. I still couldn't run Prime95 for more than 50 minutes, Battlefied 2 crashes to the desktop after a few minutes etc etc etc... I'm so put out I just want to crack my motherboard over my knee.

I sent an email to asus, but I don't expect them to help. :confused:

For the love of all thats good, please help me, Ramguy!

Sincerely,

Xenetar

• Corsair Employee

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done and a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

Archived