Corsair Community

CMX512-3200XL and ASUS P4P800SE: Computer won't boot up

Term00

Hi,

I currently have 1GB (2x512) of the CMX512-3200XL already in my system. I just bought another 1GB (2x512) and when I installed them my computer wouldn't boot up. Monitor remains black. I removed my older modules and put in the new ones and same thing. I think I may have bad modules unless there is a bios update that I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I currently have 1GB (2x512) of the CMX512-3200XL already in my system. I just bought another 1GB (2x512) and when I installed them my computer wouldn't boot up. Monitor remains black. I removed my older modules and put in the new ones and same thing. I think I may have bad modules unless there is a bios update that I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just updated my mboard bios to the latest version. I am using an ASUS P4P800SE with a P4 2.8e 800Mhz FSB. I noticed also that my new ram has version 1.2 but my older ram has version 1.1. I am not sure if the newer version is causing it?? When I say my computer won't start, I should say that it appears to be starting but it never continues into the bios boot process.

Ran a few more tests:

- 2 old ram work just fine

- 2 new and 2 old: computer wont boot up

- 1 new and 1 old: computer wont boot up

I cannot use memtest on the new ram since my computer never actually boots up. Also its weird but I ran memtest on my two old ones and got zero errors but sometimes i get an overclock error when booting up with the 2 old ones. Any reason why? It is a rare occurence though

Is it true that 2GB of DDR400 can only run at 333? I read a post in this forum where someone says 333 is the max with 2GB. Hope that isn't true

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

Advanced/Jumper Free

AI over clocking: Manual

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.85 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

System performance: Standard

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

Memory Acceleration Mode: Auto

USB Legacy Support: Disabled

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Changed the setting as you stated and my computer still will not boot with the new modules. I cant even do memtest since I never boot into the bios. What next? If I cant even get my computer to boot then how can I tell if the ram is bad? Somehow i doubt two modules are completely bad and even so my computer should boot

Please respond with a unique message instead of just copying/pasting

I would highly recommend you to test the modules in a different system; I highly doubt that the problem is coming from the memory modules.

I don't have another mboard that supports the ram I have. It really doesn't make sense to me. How can the same ram not run in my system? Do the versions of the ram make a difference? I stated above that the old modules are different in that they have v1.1 instead of v1.2. I am going to remove the CMOS battery to see if that works.

Versions do matter; if they didn't, then there'd be no reason to have versions.

Well I am about to return my RAM and get a refund. I done a lot of searching around for additional help but it seems that I am experiencing an uncommon problem. If the exact same ram isn't working then what would you suggest RAM GUY knowing my PC configuring listed under my name? Any other comparable ram pairs that you know will work?

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend you to set the settings at 2/2/3/6 and see if this will help; in addition please tell me if you have additional PCI card installed on your system, if there is please make sure that you do not have it on PCI slot#4 since this will cause an internal conflict with your AGP card since they are sharing IRQ. Can you also tell me the detail setting or configuration of your system?

I would recommend you to set the settings at 2/2/3/6 and see if this will help; in addition please tell me if you have additional PCI card installed on your system, if there is please make sure that you do not have it on PCI slot#4 since this will cause an internal conflict with your AGP card since they are sharing IRQ. Can you also tell me the detail setting or configuration of your system?

Tries the 2236 timings with no luck. I do not have a PCI card in slot #4. I have a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer in PCI card slot #1 and an eVGA GeForce 6800 GT in my AGP slot. All other PCI card slots are empty.

System Configuration:

- I have no overclocking whatsoever

- P4 2.8e 800Mhz FSB with HT technology: HT is turned on in the bios

- Sony DVD-+R/RW Drive

- Plexwriter 48/24/48 CDRW drive

- Antec Truepower 550 Watt PSU

- Latest bios for my mboard

- I am using 3 of the 4 USB ports on the mboard: a Logitech MX510 mouse, Logitech Elite Keyboard, and Plantronics DSP-500 headset

- I am using the ethernet port on the mboard

- I am using a parallel printer cable

- I am using a DVI input cable for my 20in LCD monitor

- I am using Windows XP professional with the latest drivers for all my hardware

Well that should do it as far as configuration goes. I probably included things you don't need but better to do it all than have to do more later.

Also please answer this question as you have not done so yet: Do the versions of the ram matter? My current ram is v1.1 and the new ram I just bought is v1.2. Could it be that the P4P800SE does not support v1.2 of the same make/model of ram?

The board will support both revisions, probably not together though. Also, I think he may have meant slot # 1, not 4 (slot closest to AGP).

I removed the sound card completely as well as my 3 USB devices, parallel printer cable, and ethernet cable in hopes it was some sort of conflict between any of my devices/connections. No luck. Removing everything but the graphics card and monitor still results in no boot. ARGH!!! Anything else to try? I will not RMA these modules because I do not believe they are bad modules. There is no evidence to suggest so; the evidence suggests INCOMPATABILITY, however, Corsair clearly states these work in Asus P4P800SE boards. If there is nothing else to do then I will simply get a refund since I am still within the 30 day return policy on Newegg

I tried the new modules alone and still no boot. Only revision 1.1 works in my system it seems

If they are not the same Version and Lot#, forget it.

Both sets may be fine, but they won't work together.

Not bad RAM, just bad mixing.

I tried the new modules alone and still no boot. Only revision 1.1 works in my system it seems

So you tried BOTH of the 1.2s at the same time, correct? Try one at a time.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you put the TRCD at 3, not the TRP; in addtion make sure that you have the voltage at 2.85 and the video card at 1.6 volts, and check if the power line to the video card is sharing power to anything, make sure that it is only dedicated to the video card.

Please make sure that you put the TRCD at 3, not the TRP; in addtion make sure that you have the voltage at 2.85 and the video card at 1.6 volts, and check if the power line to the video card is sharing power to anything, make sure that it is only dedicated to the video card.

It is not possible for me to have a dedicated power line running to my video card with my PSU. The longest cable that will reach has two connectors, one connecting to the GPU and the other to my HD. I tried the other settings you suggested and my computer still will not boot.

I have decided to return my modules and obtain a refund. In the next couple months, however, I plan to buy 1GB again but I am not comfortable going with the same type even though that is what my current system has. RAM GUY what other types of Corsair would you feel nearly 100% confident in recommending (meaning they would work in my system flawlessly without any needed configurations in the bios). I never had to make any bios changes with my current 1GB set and would like to continue along that path.

Archived