Corsair Community

P5WD2, XMS6400, and Pentium D 830

anakin

I have gotten myself a bit confused by attempting to determine what memory I should select for an Asus P5WD2 (North Bridge: Intel 955X; South Bridge: Intel ICH7R) with an Intel Pentium D 830 (dual core; 800MHz FSB; 3.0GHz). OS will be Win XP x64.

In most posts with the same motherboard/processor combination the XMS5400UL has been recommended but it has been noted that this would require an overclock of the FSB. Several posts suggest that use of the XMS6400 would require an even greater overclock of the FSB.

In Corsair Applications Note AN504 it states that the XMS6400 privides solid performance and value for a non-overclocked 800 MHz front side bus. I also note that Corsair's testing parameters for the XMS6400 sets the CPU external frequency to 200MHz (or 800MHz FSB) whereas the XMS5400UL is set to 226MHz (or 904Mhz FSB).

I have also read that you need (want) to keep the CPU and memory clock in synch and that by using DDR2-800 at double the bandwith you accomplish that (is that right?).

I want the system to be very stable, and while I don't mind overclocking, would I have a stable and fast system using XMS6400 at 800MHz FSB? The P5WD2 supports DDR2-800 "natively" and it apparently can be selected in the BIOS. Using Corsairs testing parameters, the FSB would also not be overclocked. XMS6400 is also cheaper than XMS5400UL.

You may be able to tell I really don't know much about this area. Should I get XMS6400 or XMS5400UL or something else.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

• Corsair Employees
When you look at the modules you also need to look at the MB/chipset we used to validate that module. Only the newer MB's support DDR2-800, older MB's had to over clock to reach the tested frequency. I would suggest you check out a few more MB reviews especially the MB's you are interested in as that will probably help you with these questions. Just do a Google search of the MB make and model and you should find several links.

Thanks Ram Guy for the quick response. According to the XMS Qualification and Testing information the XMS2-6400 testing parameters were established with an Asus P5WD2......so I'm still confused........

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

Chipset Core Voltage: Auto

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Archived