Corsair Community

3rd Ram stick causing restarts! (3x512)

Mojo the Monkey

Well, my motherboard (soyo p4vtp) has 3 dimms, and I just got Battlefield 2 (a RAM hog) and I decided to add another 512 stick of Corsair ValueSelect ram (same type as the previous 2; VS512MB400). The computer would then allow me to boot as far as the desktop for 1-5 seconds before the computer restarted itself and did the whole thing all over.

I changed everything in the bios to conservative settings (dram timings etc), and even tried using full "failsafe default" settings for the whole bios. I have the latest drivers, bios, windows updates, you name it... I took the RAM back out, and the computer works just fine. The restarting almost reminded me of a computer that wasnt getting enough power, but I'm using a 550W very stable PSU with no other problems.

I have also used this RAM with one of the old dimms, and everything worked ok. Are there any settings that I should try messing with before I return this? I know the whole thing about RAM running in pairs... but then why would I have 3 slots here? This should work.

any help is greatly appreciated.

obviously 2 dimms are for dual channel (i think. mine is the same way) Anyhow, the ram timings won't do diddley as far as helping your computer not reset. The ram timings will either not let you post, or crash AFTER you load windows. I've tested out my timings and those are the only resets i get. Possibly the dimms are averaging out voltage to all 3 dimms instead of giving them separate ones. If there's a setting maybe giving it a few more volts may help. You could always try swapping the ram sticks around a bit. And also, after all this, try that 3rd stick in each of the dimm slots separately, on it's own. Maybe you have a bad slot? Also! Maybe you cannot have 3 dimms while having 2 in dual channel? I'm not very experienced with highly specific techincal things like this because i've never had these problems, but i'm very practical! :sunglasse :bling:

This post isn't going to help you much, but for what it's worth you're not alone.

I know that a lot of people will tell you that the memory needs to EXACTLY match etcetera, etcetera, yadda, yadda.... I'm hoping that is the case, but it might be the motherboard.

My Soyo board (a SY-KT880 Dragon 2 V2.0) has four dual channel memory slots. I populated the first pair of slots with TWINX2048-3200C2PT and I had 2GB at 128 bit. Then I decided to populate the other two with my two CMX512-3200C2PT for a goal of 3GB. Even though the two CMX modules are not matched like the TWINX, they are the same revision number (v4.1) and I have great success running them together.

With the two CMX modules nestled in along the TWINX modules I get a similar problem with the machine not wanting to boot (but I only get as far as the blue screen of death). If I pull out one of the CMX sticks the machine will boot with 2.5GB at 64 bit, but that defeats the purpose of having the nifty dual channel in the first place.

I can't afford to put TWINX in the other two slots so I'm just going to leave them empty. But I am curious to see if anybody else has had this problem with any other brand of motherboard.

• Corsair Employees
With the MB you have it's best not to mix memory, even if you use modules that are the same part# but different revision they will some times not run properly in these newer chipsets. And you cannot Mix 512 Meg modules made with low density IC's and 1.0 Gig modules made with high density IC's on any MB I have see. Sorry, all of the modules you use should be exactly matched.

Okay. That answers my question, but what about Mojo the Monkey? Is he not going to be able to use his third RAM slot? His modules sound like they are as matched as he can get them and Corsair doesn't make TRIPLETX (ha ha)....

Archived