Corsair Community

Random Death Syndrome

bdby00

I recently built my own system and have suffered from random death syndrome right from the beginning. It's been happening more often recently because I've only just begun to really challenge my machine. In general, the problem is that the computer shuts off randomly without warning, and I can't turn it on unless I unplug it for 30+ seconds.

I'm about 75% sure that the problem revolves around the RAM. One of the only times that this problem occurs with regularity is when I'm using Adobe After Effects; when I try to render video, or use RAM preview, or use the programs "Purge Memory" function, my system is guaranteed to shutdown. Other than that, the only other general situation I can point to that leads to a shut down is when I have multiple programs open, yet in this case it happens somewhat rarely and infrequently. I ran both the Microsoft memory diagnostic, and the tool from memtest.org, and both of them caused the same shut down problem when the programs got into their later and lengthier tests.

Another symptom is that immediately after the computer shuts down, I can hear a small noise coming from inside the box that almost sounds like a modem (a kind of high-pitched squealling noise). As well, on occasion after I start the computer back up, the initial screen (with the ABIT logo) appears distorted, and sometimes when the computer starts back up it shuts right back off as soon as the desktop in Windows shows up. I appreciate any help you can offer, and I recognize it may not necessarily be a memory problem so I will leave this same message in an ABIT forum. Thanks.

Brandon

• Corsair Employees
First thing, the configuration you gave would suggest a minimum of a 450 Watt PSU with 500 Watt suggeted and what you have listed would not be enough. If it was a name brand like PC-Power & Cooling it may work but it's still not enough. In addition, the problem you describe is a power issue so I would start with the PSU. And the modules you have will need to have the Dim Voltage set to a minimum of 1.9 Volts as well.

Also from your description of the whirring sound and the distorted logo I'd be looking at the Ati card to see if the fans alright. Dust bunnies can cause problems with both the processor fan and the video card fan causing overheating and shutdowns/crashes.

• 1 month later...
After all of the problems described above, as well as many more that have occurred since then, I recieved an e-mail from my mobo's customer support suggesting that my CPU and RAM were incompatible. I have a Pentium D processor, and 1 stick of xms2 1 gig ddr2 675 (PC2 5400), could this be the case? Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I have a few questions:

1)Why are my cpu and ram incompatible?

2)I've read that pentium D's are not recommended to be increased to 250MHz unless you have a hardcore cooling system, I read one article that said the best overclock setting is 230, my computer won't start unless it's at 220 or below, am i doing something wrong? and is it alright to have it that low, even though the testing parameter recommends 250?

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I called intel customer support and they said that my cpu/chipset and ram should be compatible, what was it that you and abit were seeing that posed an issue? As well, I ran memtest86 out of abit's recommendation, and it froze after 6 minutes on test #6, if that info. is of any help.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees

Please try thse settings.

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz

DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto Yields the following timings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

NB Voltage 1.9 Volts

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Archived