Corsair Community

DFI nForce4 SLI-D & Corsair memory

SH64

Hi ,

recently i purchased a 2x1GB sticks of Corsair DDR400 RAM for my DFI SLI-D motherboard (TWINX1024-3200C2 / DDR-400 (PC-3200) / *2-3-3-6 / 2.5-3-3-6) & by the time i installed them i started to get crashes & lockups/hangups on accplications like 3DMark2003/2005 & in games as well.

i have the latest BIOS version installed & i tried changing the timings manually/increasing the latency/increasing the voltage but that didnt work either. looking further more i found more people getting the same problem as mine which appears to be some kind of incomapatability between Corsair memory & DFI Lanparty SLI-D motherboards. OCZ memroy for exmaple works just fine for me & many other DFI SLI-D owners.

more info can be found here :

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52521

i did ask DFI about it & they sent me here.

• Corsair Employees

LMAO!

O.K. so there is a few people who say they had a problem with Value Select modules and went with another maker’s module and that worked for them. That is just total hog wash. The volume we sell there are bound to be users who may have a problem and the correct way to deal with this is to come here and lets try some testing steps to find the problem. There is no compatibility issue with our modules and any MB that I am aware of. This crap was started by one of our competitors who seem to be opportunistic and prey on one's weakness.

Please list your complete specs and the bios settings you have set for every thing you changed from default. And have you tested the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org

My specs :

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 / DDR-400 (PC-3200) / *2-3-3-6 , 2.5-3-3-6

DFI Lanparty UT nForce4 SLI-D

AMD 64 4000+

2x GeForce 6800 GT SLI

SB Audigy2 ZS sound card

120GB HDD

BIOS settings & changes :

1st try i set the RAM timings manually to 2.5-3-3-6 (which is the defualt for AMD platforms as your site suggests)

2nd try i set it to auto which detected 3-3-3-8 as default

ALL other options were set to defualt (Auto). i didnt touch anything other than RAM timings.

i didnt test the memory with memtest , however i did test them on my other P4 PC & they worked flawlessly .

on the AMD PC i did test them one at a time .. the crashes & lockups were still there.

for the time being i dont have the RAM modules to test them on memtest because i already returned them back. i can still get them back if i figure the problem.

on a side note i did test other Corsair RAM modules i had (512x2 TwinX PRO) along with other brand on the same AMD PC & they worked fine but only @2T (DDR333) . if i set them to DDR400 the crashes come back.

thanks for your response !

I have the exact same board and exact same memory and I am getting my fair share of problems too.

WOrks flawlessly one stick at a time but putting both together gets me BSOD as soon as I get to the windows logon screen.

Flashed to latest BIOS, upped voltages, and have all default settings in the BIOS.

Any further info on this problem RAMGUY?

DFI NF4 SLI-DR

2x1Gb XMS TwinX 3200C2 DDR400

MSI NX6800GT 256MB

250Gb Seagate SATA HDD

Thermaltake Purepower 680W PSU

• Corsair Employees
If I understand your post correctly even with other DDR400 memory when the system is set to DDR400 it will crash. Is that correct? If so I would suspect some problem with your system, most likely a power problem. What is the make and model of your PSU?

If I understand your post correctly even with other DDR400 memory when the system is set to DDR400 it will crash. Is that correct? If so I would suspect some problem with your system, most likely a power problem. What is the make and model of your PSU?

No i was talking about mixed brands .. 2x512MB DDR400 of some brand & 2x512MB Corsair memory. due to difference in timings it lowers the DDR400 speed to DDR333 (2T) & i think its a correct procedure for AMD 939 platforms?

anyhow system works fine with DDR400 memory i can assure you that!

• Corsair Employees
If you have not done so, please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules again with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting the same problems, I was running another brand memory at 1GB just fine, now with a 2x1024MB this will crash during games. I don't overclock, I have loosen up the timings, up the voltage, yet I still get crashes. Nothing else changed on my system except the RAM. I ran this thing through memory test, but I believe this must be some kind of compatibility issue. What's worse, I have had Corsair fail on me before, I still got a dead xms PC3000 512MB stick sitting on my desk. I skipped it once and was fine, I decided to give it another and go and boom. I'm throughly disappointed.

DFI Ultra-D

Corsair twinx XMS3200c2PRO 2x 1024MB

Are there any other suggestions besides the ones posted previously?

*Bump*

I know I came through all bitchy and all, but the thing is, I really want this to work, I wanna have corsair in my RIG, and I want 2GB of it. Which RAM do you guys recommend for the DFI Lanparty Nforce4 series? Have you guys been able to reproduce this problem?

It's clear you guys have the resources, and the craftsmanship to make some great products, but I have bought Corsair once before, and had the manufacturing problem, which is understandable, but 2 out of 2.....

I have just put in my old RAM sticks in, and they work perfectly (except for the drawbacks of running with 1GB as opposed of two). I know you guys can't guarantee it to work, but is there a better set than these for this board? My fear is shipping this to the retailer that sold them to me and have the same pair returned because they can't detect the problem since it appears to be compatibility one. I'm open to suggestions, I am even willing to spend more on a different set if I can get it from you guys that you guys believe will work better with this board (I know you can't guarantee it will work with 100% certainty, as nothing is 100% certain, I'm not unreasonable).

I really hope you guys can help me, I've done everything, loosened up the timings as recommended, upped the RAM voltage as recommended, completely cleared the CMOS on the board.... to no avail.

TBH, I really see you guys seem to be trying, so please...... I want to put these or some similar to these back where they belong, INSIDE my rig! http://s87366392.onlinehome.us/TWINX-2048%20XMS3200C2.jpg

Well, thanks for the help anyway, Ram guy(s). I am in contact with the Retailer in order to get these RMA'd. I was looking to change the model, pay whatever difference there is to change it. This model I believe just won't work with the board. I can return it and it'll either: 1. Be sent right back to me or 2. I'll be provided with a different set of the same model.

I would even go as far as going with DDR2, if the difference was under 175 dollars or the thereabouts, even if that meant me spending money on active cooling necessary for that.

Unfortunately the way it is right now it looks like I'll be going with one of your competitors, either the 3-letter brand one or the the one I am running 1GB of right now. I really won't be able to recommend your brand at all now, though.

I might return this at some point in the future, and this one sure did fail memtest86 pretty badly. I have no idea what I can get in return for it, but who knows.

Farewell.

• Corsair Employees

bernardos70

I am running these modules in a like chipset MB now, and we have tested this MB, so there has to be some other problem, either they are not configured properly or you have a failing module or a problem with your system. However the fact that you say other memory works I would suggest we try replacing your modules. Now if you decide to change the brand I do understand your reason, but with out more specific information there is not a lot I can do other than suggest we try replacing the modules. And I am sorry but we would not be able to change them to another part # as we do not sell direct. However, I am not the one to make that determination, so I would talk to our Customer Service and see if there is something they can do. In addition, the MB you do not have support for DDR2 on this MB, so that may not be an option for you as well

That's fine. RAM guy, at least you guys tried. Thanks for the patience in answering though, I also have to deal with customers and the way I've been acting here would probably qualify me as a total jackass customer as well. :laughing: But I would try to go ahead and run battlefield 2 with it and the latest patch and see what you would get. It runs fine with the current ram I have in the system, but Corsair is a no go, it hardlocks, I have to reset the system altogether after only a few minutes. I see you guys are at least trying, and that's all I can ask for. I have sent the RAM in to newegg, I really wish I could use them cause they just look awesome as well, and have a good latency. I'll probably give you guys a look in the future. I'm really leaning more towards blaming DFI on this as Corsair is such a popular brand, they should have better testing. I'm so convinced of the compatibility issues because this is not an isolated case.

Once again, thank you very much, and who knows, maybe in the future I'll be posting on how great my new corsair XMS3700000 is running!

I'd like to publicly apologize. Corsair was not at fault this time. Like I stated before, DFI should have done more testing with RAM as popular as Corsair.

It has now started giving me the same error with another brand RAM. So I apologize, and I might just ask newegg to send me the corsair sticks again, and I'm going to go with another brand on the motherboard.

Archived