Corsair Community

I think one of my modules has died.

gfewin

I ordered a system about 2 years ago with 2 Corsair CMX512-2700C2 333MHz CL2 sticks.

Troublesooting completed so far:

For a few months now the POST speech reporter would occasionally say "system failed memory test... computer now booting from operating system" The system would boot up anyway and seemingly function just fine. This would only happen about 1 in 3 power cycles. I ran a few memory tests (with something other than memtest) and they did not show any problems, so I just lived with it. While troubleshooting a separate issue that was causing the PC to reboot, I swapped the ram into the oposite slots. When that happend, the boot sequence stopped mid-POST with a "Memory test failed" error (text only), before even getting to the speech report. After that, I tried them one at a time. With the good stick in slot 1, the PC boots and runs fine. With the failed DIMM in slot 1, the boot sequence dies mid-POST. With the good stick in slot1, and the bad one in slot 2 or 3 the POST gets farther, but the speech reporter gives the message "system failed memory test" and it no longer goes to the ...now booting from operating system. It stops there, and will not boot to the OS. This sounds pretty much like a failed DIMM to me.

I can't run memtest on it now since I can't boot with it in the system. I am currently running with only 1 DIMM. I flashed the mobo BIOS with the latest available from ASUS, but it didn't change anything.

Are there any other tests I can run to 100% rule out any other possibilities, or do I just try to get it replaced?

My system came with a 3 year warranty, but of course only 1 year for the useful parts.

Thanks for any help!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks for the help!

Should I consider replacing them both? Are the modules pretty much the same, or could there be any potential issues with getting a single replacement that didn't quite match the original? I don't know what manufacturing differences there have been in the last 2 years. I also don't really want to be without a PC for a week if I send in both sticks. What do you think?

Archived