Corsair Community

Random crashing/restarts appears to be due to bad RAM

I have a set (2x512MB) of TWINX1024-3200C2PT in my computer currently. I have been using them for roughly 2 1/2 months now, and as of last night they seem to have started going bad on me. I ran memtest this morning, and after completeing all 8 tests, it found just under 10,000 errors.

Any help with with solving this problem or getting an RMA started would be appreciated.

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have the voltage on my RAM set up to 2.7V from the normal 2.6V. I had done this after I started getting crashes to try and see if it was just because my memory was unstable. CPU voltage is at 1.4V.

The RAM timings are currently at 3-3-3-8, but in the past I've had them as low as 2-3-3-6. Again, I raised them in hopes of solving some kind of instability problem that I might have had.

The FSB speed is at 200MHz. It's been like this both before and after I started having problems.

Is there anything else that you were wanting to know in particular?

I probably should also mention that I had updated my motherboard's BIOS yesterday, just before I started having problems. And although I suspect that might have something to do with the bad RAM, I'm not sure how that would have caused it.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Allright, well I ran memtest on each stick individually and it appears that all of the errors are on just one stick. The other stick is working perfectly fine, and using just that one I was actually able to get back to this board without Firefox or explorer.exe crashing on me (which is a first).

So, what would you reccomend I do now? Should I just go ahead and submit an RMA request?

• Corsair Employees

Yes please do, and I would submit the pair or 1-Twinx and send them as a set.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived