Corsair Community

Random Resets with Value Select PC3200 512MB x 3

I previously had 3 x 512MB hynix PC 3200 chips. I decided to replace the chips with corsai value select as i had heard they where much higher quality. This turns out to be the start of my nightmare.

After putting the new chips in i had instant system speed degradation and random resets. I searched the forums and put the voltage upto 2.77 as mentioned in a number of threads on this site. This has prooven to do nothing.

I put my old hynix ram back in and the system worked perfectly.

I tested the Value Select PC3200 512MB ram modules one at a time and everything seemed fine.

I put all three back into the MB and i started getting intermittant crashes and system degradation once again.

My system specs are below

Mother Board: 8RDA3I - Epox

CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ OC to AMD Barton 3200+

RAM: 3 x VS512MB400 lot#0523126-0

GFX: Raedon 9800 pro 128MB

HDD1: Western Digital IDE 80 GIG 7200RPM 8meg Cache

HDD2: Western Digital SATA 200 GIG 7200RPM 8meg Cache

DVD1: LG4216 DVD buner

DVD2: LG DVD

Power: Generic 450Watt

Please advise me what to do as I am fast loosing faith in corsair's manufactoring quality and reputation.

I have just changed my CAS settings from 2.5 to 3 and now the system runs stable. but the whole point of changing from my hynix ram was to get the CAS 2.5 as specified on the Value Select advertising.

Please offer assistance ASAP

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400 or VS1GBKIT400

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I have the latest BIOS installed and changing hte FSB to 166 didnt make a difference. it still results in crashing.

BTW changing the cas to 3 only delayed the crashing. it now will crash intemittantly every 2 hours or so instead of 10 minutes.

it would be appreciated if you could give me a genuine responce instead of copying and pasting from other threads aswell. I have read most of them.

Tony Milne

Archived