Corsair Community

Need Replacement

Hello everyone,

First here are my specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platnium

1GB Corsair RAM DDR400 PC3200 (other 1GB stick is burned)

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB

I recently purchased some Corsair memory, a 1GB PC3200 DDR400 stick and the model number is VS1GB400C3 (atleast I am guessing that that is the model number as it matches my other identical stick). Well, ever since I purchased the stick I have had problems. At times my computer would recognize only 1GB, sometimes it would say 2GB and other times it would even say things like 1.5GB or 500MB.

I put 1 stick alone into each of my DIMM slots to make sure the slots were all ok. The memory worked fine in each slot. I did the same test with the other stick, and it all checked out. However, once I put the two sticks in at the same time the computer would run into the problems listed above. I requested help on another forum and they had me go into the BIOS and turn on something that ran along the lines of, "Auto Detect DIMM" and enable it. That seemed to be the solution. However I recently installed a new computer game, and it asked me to restart my computer so I did. After it rebooted my computer only detected 1GB. So I took the memory out to put it back in, I figured the stick must of become loose or something. Well, I turned the computer on and immediately I smelled something burning. I turned the computer off right after I smelled the burning, got out my flashlight and saw the smoke coming from DIMM slot 2. I took the memory out, and of course it now has some burned areas on it. Also DIMM slot 2 has some debris of some sort from the burn smolded onto it, and doesn't appear to be functional again.

I have two questions, not sure if one of them belongs here though:

1) Will my warranty cover a burned piece of memory?

2) Will a motherboard allow 1 stick to be in DIMM slot 1 and another to be in slot 3 and still function?

Thank you for any help that is provided, I appreciate it.

-Steve

• Corsair Employees

We would need to inspect the module you say is burned, so let's submit the RMA and see if we can get it replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived