Corsair Community

Bad module?

I purchased a system about a month ago, along with a 512MB module of Valueselect VS512MB400. I removed the 128MB module of ram that came with the system, and installed the 512MB Valueselect module. The system worked fine for almost a month, when it started reporting problems with DLLs, corrupted registry and reboots during Windows startup.

After some diagnostics, I thought that the problem might be with the HD or motherboard, so I took out 512 MB module, put back the original 128MB module, and exchanged the system for an identical system. I did NOT exchange the 512MB module.

After getting the system back, I again replaced the 128 MB module with the 512 MB module, and the system rebooted during Windows XP initial setup, followed by boot-time error checking on the hard drive showing errors. I removed the 512 MB module, and put back the 128 MB module. After this, the system seemed to work fine.

The motherboard is an ECS 661FX-M, with a 133MHz FSB. The user's guide indicates that it should work with DDR400 memory, up to 1GB per module.

I've run memtest86+ on the 512MB module, and it shows errors within the first pass with the module in either of the two slots. Error bits always shows as 00010000 for all errors.

Several passes running with the 128MB module showed no problems, so I'm pretty sure the rest of the system is OK.

Is there anything else that I should try to diagnose the problem? It seems to me to be an issue with the VS512MB400 module. I do not have access to another system that takes DDR to test against.

Also, should there be a need to return the module, what do you suggest for packaging it to mail safely?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The CPU is a 2.66 GHz Celeron D330.

The CPU and DRAM settings are either auto-detected or default CMOS settings. I haven't tweaked anything. The settings shown are as follows:

FSB is 133MHz. CPU Core Volatage is 1.34V.

DRAM settings:

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

RAS Active Time(tRAS): 6T

RAS Precharge Time(Trp): 3T

RAS to CAS Delay(tRCD): 3T

DDR Voltage shows 2.60V, and there doesn't seem to be any option to change it.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that the memory frequency is set to DDR333 at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and if you have the option for Dim Voltage I would set it to 2.7 Volts. If that does not resolve the problem, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived