Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2 not working @PC2100

zonoskar

I have a Tyan s2665 motherboard on which I have run CMX512-2700C2 modules for 2-3 years. It was time to upgrade, but I couldn't find any PC2700 modules @ CAS2 anywhere locally, so I bought a pair of CMX512-3200C2 thinking that faster modules would clock down to the requested speed, just as the PC2700 modules did. Wrong! The motherboard greets me with a number of beeps. Also when I install only the PC3200 modules, the beeps won't stop. I tried the PC3200 modules in my other PC and they work fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot change any memory related setting in the BIOS, tyan server boards don't have this possibility. I have flashed the latest BIOS though, but it didn't help.

Why will PC2700 modules work, while PC3200 won't?

Ok, so I'm not able to use the PC3200 modules in my board until Tyan fixes the BIOS. I'll return the modules then and wait for that (emailed Tyan to see about the posibility of a BIOS update for this, not holding my breath though).

One other thing, if I use the memory search tool on the Corsair website, it comes up with a few registered DIMM modules (CM72SD512RLP-2100, CM74SD2048RLP-2100) for my board (Tyan Thunder i7505 s2665) under the recommended modules list. These are most definately not compatible with the board since it only takes unbuffered memory.

Archived